FC: More on Yahoo, seeking revenue, defaults to marketing-email-OK

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 03 2002 - 19:48:25 PST

    [At least one commentator has complained about Yahoo's switch as an example
    of how privacy policies can't be trusted. If they can be changed at whim,
    the argument goes, what good are they? Well, let's think this through. A
    few points in reply: (a) If people really care about a privacy policy that
    NEVER EVER changes, they'll patronize only sites that pledge that. But only
    a few outliers seem to think that way; (b) If having an inflexible
    this-shalt-not-change privacy policy were a competitive advantage and would
    draw scads more signups, companies would have a huge incentive to offer it
    (they don't); (c) It is probably a good thing to have privacy policies that
    change based on current economic reality. Banner ads no longer pay the
    bills. If Yahoo could not attempt to recoup costs by changing its privacy
    policy to permit pseudospam, it may reasonably choose to pull the plug on a
    service with less potential to make money; (d) if you're that worried about
    spam, use anti-spam-ware or do some smart Procmailing; both have been
    around for years. (e) If you don't like Yahoo, leave. There are few
    stronger ways to show them what you think. Previous message:
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-03333.html --Declan]

    ---