FC: Dave Touretzky replies to direct marketing group over Godiva

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 05 2002 - 05:24:21 PST

    ----- Forwarded message from owner-politechat_private -----

    From: Dave_Touretzkyat_private
    To: Ben Isaacson <benat_private>
    Cc: politechat_private
    Subject: none dare call it "spam" ?
    Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 00:47:19 -0500

    Hi, Ben.  This is in response to your defense of Godiva.com on
    Politech:

    You are correct that I did not read the Godiva privacy policy before
    ordering.  Silly me!  I assumed that a long-established,
    nationally-known company would know better than to screw with its
    customers this way, and that I needn't read every word of their
    lengthy online "privacy" policy before ordering a simple gift of
    chocolates for a sick friend.  I guess they taught me a lesson, huh?

    As for the definition of "spam": unwanted bulk email is spam.  Just
    because I ordered a box of chocolates doesn't mean I gave Godiva
    permission to put me on a mailing list.  Amazon learned this the hard
    way when they started spamming their customers and got a lot of people
    furious with them.  Apparently Godiva wasn't paying attention.

    While the Godiva privacy policy says they will not give out my email
    ADDRESS to third parties, it also says at
    http://www.godiva.com/customer/privacy.asp that they WILL offer third
    parties the use of that information:

      "Additionally, we occasionally make portions of our mailing list
      available to other reputable companies whose products may be of
      interest to you ..."

    There you have it.  Godiva is pimping my information to third parties.
    Whether that's done in a way that prevents further harvesting of my
    email address is irrelevant.  They're still taking money from other
    companies for the privilege of lobbing turds into my mailbox.  I
    object to this.

    Finally, you point out that Godiva's solicitations include an opt-out
    option.  Unfortunately, that "option" is just a URL for a web site
    where you're supposed to manually type in an email address to be
    removed.  But the spam they send out does not indicate what address
    they're using to spam you, so if you have many addresses, or if your
    address can take many forms (as mine does), you have know way of
    knowing what string is in their database!

    The unsubcribe URL that Godiva provides appears to be for stopping
    delivery of Godiva's email newsletter.  The privacy policy indicates
    that one must call the 800 number to prevent being spammed by third
    parties.

    What I asked Godiva to do when I wrote to them was remove me entirely
    from their database.  Forget I ever existed, because they're not going
    to make another dime in sales from me for as long as they continue to
    treat their customers with this kind of contempt.

    Not surprisingly, there has been no reply.

    When customers insist on REAL privacy policies instead of fig leaves,
    companies do comply, or their customers go elsewhere.  I order my
    books from Barnes & Noble, not Amazon, because of Amazon's repeated
    bad behavior.  Godiva may be a big name, but there are lots of other
    chocolatiers selling over the web who do not thumb their noses at
    customer privacy.  I urge Politech readers to patronize them.

    -- Dave Touretzky

    ----- End forwarded message -----