FC: Orin Kerr replies to John Gilmore: USA PATRIOT Act not that bad!

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 22:09:11 PDT

    [Orin was at the Justice Department until last year and is now a law
    professor at George Washington University. Text of final USA PATRIOT Act:
    http://www.politechbot.com/docs/usa.act.final.102401.html Also see a note
    from Geoff Newbury below. --Declan]

    ---

    From: "Kerr, Orin" <okerrat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 11:52:07 -0500
    Subject: Re: FC: UK wiretapping "traffic" vs. "contents" a sham, by John
    Gilmore
    CC: gnuat_private

    Declan,

    While I can't fault John Gilmore's technical analysis, I think his
    analysis of U.S. law both pre-Patriot and post-Patriot is pretty far
    off.  This may not satisfy the Black Helicopters crowd, but at least
    some your readers may want to know that things aren't so bad as
    Gilmore seems to believe.

    To begin with, it is essential to recognize that the federal statutory
    privacy laws such as the Wiretap Act (18 USC 2510-22) and the
    Pen Register Act (18 USC 3121-27) are not pure grants of
    government power.  These laws are privacy laws, that extend privacy
    protection above and beyond the Fourth Amendment rules to protect
    Internet communications.  These laws have exceptions that allow the
    government to collect certain kinds of communications with a court
    order (see 18 usc 3123, 18 USC 2518) but the exceptions only
    apply if the privacy law applies to that communication in the first
    place.  If the privacy law doesn't apply in the first place, then the
    communication is totally unprotected by statutory law.  Of course,
    the 4th Amendment can still protect it, but that's a question for the
    courts to decide, not Congress. (Congress only has the power to
    enact prophylactic rules that go beyond 4th Amendment protections;
    if a Congressional law violates the Fourth Amendment by offering
    less protection than the Fourth Amendment provides, the courts will,
    should and must invalidate it.)

    John Gilmore suggests that pre-Patriot Act, there was a "clear legal
    distinction" between content and other information, but that it has
    now been erased in a sinister plot.   The trouble is, the Patriot Act
    did not in any way change the statutory definition of "contents"
    found in the Wiretap Act at 18 USC 2510(8), so it could not have
    changed what is or could be considered "contents."  This definition
    has not changed since 1986.  What the Patriot Act did do is expand
    the other category of non-content information to make sure that the
    Pen Register law broadly protects addressing information of Internet
    communications, now dubbed "dialing, routing, addressing, and
    signalling information."

    While John GIlmore sees an evil government plot, I see the
    expansion of a privacy law.  In fact, if the Pen Register law did not
    apply to non-content addressing information before the Patriot Act
    (a question upon which Magistrate Judges split, but Gilmore insists
    was clearly true), that means that absolutely anyone at any time was
    free to wiretap the Internet and collect all addressing information
    without any court order-- whether it was the FBI, the CIA, the United
    Nations, whoever.  It would be Carnivore without a court order, all
    perfectly in compliance with U.S. statutory law.  Needless to say,
    that would be bad.

    As best I can tell, Gilmore doesn't seem to confront this possibility
    because he  assumes that anything that doesn't fall into the limited
    definition of "pen register" must by default be considered the
    "contents" of a communication.  The 1968 Senate Report that
    accompanied the original Wiretap Act suggested this, but this
    approach was rejected by Congress in 1986 when Congress
    enacted ECPA and the Pen Regsiter law and settled upon the more
    narrow definition of "contents" that we have today.  The Senate
    Report clarifies that "contents" post-1986 refers to "the substance,
    purport, or meaning of the communication," as opposed to merely
    "the existence of the communication or transactional records about
    it."  Courts interpreting  "contents" have taken a similar approach.
    See, e.g., Brown v. Waddell, 50 F.3d 285, 294 n.11 (4th Cir. 1995)
    (suggesting that contents are "substantive messages").  This means
    that pre-Patriot Act, addressing information that was not a
    substantive message sent by a person was quite possibly
    unprotected by U.S. privacy law.   There was a gap in the privacy
    law that the USA Patriot Act filled.

    I suspect Gilmore and I would agree that Congress should do more
    to protect addressing information.  However, I think that his view that
    the Patriot Act lessened legal protections afforded to addressing
    information is a bit backwards.

    Orin

    Orin S. Kerr
    Associate Professor