FC: Cops don't need warrants to bug vehicles, Nevada high court says

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 22:36:47 PDT

    The Nevada Supreme Court has said police may plant tracking devices on or
    underneath people's cars without a search warrant. The decision is here:

    http://www.leg.state.nv.us/scd/118NevAdvOpNo32.html
    >"...in order for an unreasonable search or seizure to exist, the
    >complaining individual must have a reasonable expectation of privacy,
    >which requires both a subjective and an objective expectation of privacy
    >in the place searched or the item seized. Here, we conclude that Osburn
    >had neither a subjective nor an objective expectation of privacy in the
    >bumper of his vehicle."

    This is a disturbing decision. It refuses to acknowledge what most
    Americans consider to be commonsense privacy rights. But it is not the
    first of its kind.

    In 1999, the Ninth Circuit said pretty much the same thing, when deciding
    the Fourth Amendment's prohibition on unreasonable searches and seizures
    does not apply. In that case, cops trespassed on Christopher McIver's
    property, planted a GPS bug under his Toyota 4Runner while it was parked in
    his driveway, followed him around for a while, then arrested him on
    marijuana charges. See:

    http://cl.bna.com/cl/19990818/9830145.htm