FC: North Korea takes reassuringly hard line against... typewriters!

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 12:18:59 PDT

    Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 22:19:01 +0800
    To: declanat_private
    From: "Robert Clark" <rclarkat_private>
    Subject: N. Korea preventing typewriter proliferation

    Declan
    North Korea may not be fully cooperating with the world's attempts to
    control the spread of nuclear weapons, but they are taking a reassuringly
    hard line against the dangers of typewriter proliferation.

    According to the 1999 booklet, "Dear Leader Kim Jong Il's Remarks on
    Statistics", apparently addressed to senior officials:  "Workers should not
    discuss work matters outside, even with their wives and children....  We
    send newspapers overseas that may contain secrets. If you have secrets
    don't use the telephone too much. We should also tighten controls over use
    of typewriters and photocopiers."

    Reported in Far Eastern Economic Review at:
    http://www.feer.com/articles/2002/0205_02/p012region.html

    Robert Clark
    Telecom Asia
    Hong Kong