FC: Update on Nissan Motor vs. Nissan.com suit, trial in Oct. 2002

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon May 13 2002 - 20:10:56 PDT

    This has been going on a while -- here's an article we ran on Wired News in
    Jan. 2001:

    Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 20:03:29 -0400
    Subject: Nissan URL dispute ncchelp.org
    From: "S. Ron Butler" <essronat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>

    Declan:

    I've never submitted, love your work.

    Have you seen this one?:  http://www.ncchelp.org/The_Story/the_story.htm

    There is an update for April, and claims "This case has been denied national
    media coverage due to the automaker's huge advertising resources
    ($400,000,000 per year in the US only)".

    It amazes me they have the gall to bring a $10M suit against someone for
    registering their own name, which reminds me, I meant to copyright my DNA
    this week... ( http://www.dnacopyright.com/ ).

    It is difficult to see the logic in being subject to the DMCA, but not to
    have implicit right to our own DNA and nomenclature.  Doubleplus ungood.

    Thanks for your diligent information,
    Ron
    S. Ron Butler
    http://essron.org/personal.html
    William E. Simon Graduate School of Business Administration, 2003
    University of Rochester