FC: Last word in mini-debate on Supreme Court ruling in FCC/telco case

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sat May 18 2002 - 16:34:40 PDT

    From: "Faulhaber, Gerald" <faulhabeat_private>
    To: "'Declan McCullagh'" <declanat_private>
    Subject: RE: Mini-debate on Supreme Court ruling in FCC telco regulation c
    	ase
    Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 23:54:23 -0400

    My reply to Adam's (thoughtful) reply:

    It was Congress that established local loop unbundling in the 1996 Act, not
    the FCC.  It's aim was a transitional device to true facilities-based
    competition.  There was real economic precedent for this in 1979, when the
    FCC removed the Bell System's restrictions on resale of private line, so
    MCI and Sprint could be resellers in parts of the country their networks
    didn't reach yet.  It's arguable that this strategy worked in the 1980's to
    help achieve competition in long distance.  However, the current situation
    is much different, and Congress' attempt to bring competition to local
    telephone service has pretty much failed.  This seemed like a good idea at
    the time, at least to  many observers.  Breyer has the benefit of hindsight
    (as do I) in questioning the connection between local loop unbundling and
    increased competition.  In 1996, lots of folks thought this was real smart.

    As usual, the FCC gets blamed for this, but the Telecoms Act was a deal the
    RBOCs bought into in 1996.  The FCC was simply the implementor of the
    Telecoms Act, albeit an enthusiastic one.  But if the FCC decided tomorrow
    that TELRIC, local loop unbundling and UNEs were stupid, it couldn't change
    the law.  It would still be required by the Act to pursue local loop
    unbundling.

    Now we are surprised when we get more regulation when we attempt to
    partially "deregulate."  This always happens; achieving "partial
    competition" in a previously monopolized regulated industry always creates
    more regulation not less.  See my paper "Policy-Induced Competition" at
    http://rider.wharton.upenn.edu/~faulhabe/Policy-Induced%20Competition.pdf,
    where I discuss this and other local loop unbundling issues.

    Professor Gerald Faulhaber <http://rider.wharton.upenn.edu/~faulhabe>
    Business and Public Policy Department
    Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
    Philadelphia, PA 19104
    215-898-7860