FC: House Judiciary chairman on FBI powers: "deeply troubled"

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sun Jun 02 2002 - 10:12:05 PDT

    Note there is a difference between Rep. Sensenbrenner being "deeply
    troubled" about the substance of the FBI's new authority -- compared to the
    mechanism by which the bureau got it. If we take his statement below at
    face value, he's mostly concerned about the procedure, not the new powers
    themselves.

    Also see Sen. Leahy's FBI Reform Act statement:
    http://leahy.senate.gov/press/200205/052902.html

    Previous Politech message:

    "Ashcroft on new investigation rules: FBI has been 'frustrated'"

    U.S. House of Representatives
    Committee on the Judiciary
    F. James Sensenbrenner, Jr., Chairman
    _______________________________________
    www.house.gov/judiciary

    News Advisory
    For immediate
    release
    Contact: Terry Shawn
    May 31,
    2002
    202-225-2492

    Chairman Sensenbrenner Reacts to Revised Investigative Guidelines for the FBI

    WASHINGTON, D.C. - House Judiciary Committee Chairman F. James
    Sensenbrenner (R-Wis.) issued the following statement today in response to
    Attorney General John Ashcroft's announcement of revised investigative
    guidelines for the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

    "Yesterday, Attorney General John Ashcroft and Federal Bureau of
    Investigation Director Robert Mueller announced new guidelines for the
    conduct of criminal investigations by the FBI. I am deeply troubled by the
    Department of Justice's failure to consult with Congress over changes to
    investigative policies that have been in place for more than 20 years."

    "The House Judiciary Committee has a history of working with the FBI on
    these guidelines. In the past, I supported them as an important limitation
    on FBI investigative practices to prevent the abuses of the 1960s and
    1970s. Many believed at the time that these guidelines were essential to
    restore faith in the FBI."

    "These important safeguards of American privacy and freedom should not be
    significantly altered without careful consideration and a full explanation
    of the reasons for any changes. I look forward to hearing the Attorney
    General's and the FBI Director's testimony before the Judiciary Committee
    in the near future regarding the decision to revise these guidelines."

    ###30###