FC: Australia update: Spam lawsuit and "e-security" threats

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2002 - 19:06:23 PDT

    Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 20:17:35 -0700 (PDT)
    From: Charles Oriez <coriezat_private>
    Subject: Aussie spammer sues over SPEWS listing
    To: declanat_private

    Irony is that the person he's suing has nothing to do with SPEWS.
    SPEWS receives spam at its spamtrap addresses, sends complaints,
    lists when complaints arent acted on.  No one has the ability,
    supposedly, to make nominations, and SPEWS does not accept email.
    They research before listing, and link to pages of spam victims who
    post evidence against the spammers to augment their own evidence.

    Discussion is happening on both NANAE and SPAM-L

    SPEWS listing:

    http://www.spews.org/html/S1488.html

    Page they think caused the SPEWS listing:

    http://www.vtgts.com/auspam.htm

    Mirrors, just in case:

    http://www.spamblocked.com/auspam.html
    http://oriez.org/spammerscum/ausspam.html

    respondent:
    "Jomac" <jomacat_private>

    cartooney for the plaintiff:
    http://www.tan-tan.com.au/
    enquiries@tan-tan.com.au

    IPAs to block for anyone not using SPEWS:

    T3Group
    |--------------------
    1, 202.154.73.131, t3direct.com.au
    1, 202.154.79.66, mail.t3direct.com.au
    1, 202.154.79.0/25, t3direct.com.au
    1, 202.139.241.136, www.t3direct.com.au
    1, 202.139.241.128/25, t3direct.com.au
    1, 203.55.16.6, titan.t3direct.com.au
    1, 203.55.16.0/25, t3direct.com.au
    ---------------------|

    Upstream of spammer is swiftel.com.au

    Statement of T3 on their web page at
    http://www.t3direct.com.au/privacy.asp admitting that they spam:

    "Collection of Marketing Information from the WWW

    We collect eMail contact addresses from various publicly available
    sources and other marketing promotions. We understand you may wish
    NOT to receive information from us by eMail. To be removed from our
    lists simply write to adminat_private with "REMOVE" in the
    subject line. We maintain a "Opt Out" List and we will add your
    request to that list."

    So they add email addresses without permission.  They're going to
    have a hard time claiming now that they don't.

    ---