FC: NYT: Jim Bell, crypto-convict, Osama bin Laden v2.0?

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sun Jun 09 2002 - 23:11:51 PDT

    Nicholas Kristof has an opinion piece in Sunday's New York Times titled
    "All-American Osamas." He says:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/07/opinion/07KRIS.html
    >It would be a mistake to put one's faith in the militias' eternal
    >incompetence. Jessica Stern of Harvard has written about an
    >anti-government activist named James Dalton Bell, who earned a degree in
    >chemistry from M.I.T. and is unquestionably brilliant. By age 14, he says,
    >"I was studying the isomerization of benzyl thiocyanate to the isocyanate."
    >
    >Weren't we all? But Mr. Bell, who is now in jail, is also believed by the
    >authorities to have manufactured sarin, a nerve gas, in his basement. He
    >led a chemical attack against an I.R.S. office and wrote an Internet book
    >called "Assassination Politics," which outlines a very clever scheme to
    >pay for contract killings of federal officials with digital cash in a way
    >that preserves anonymity at both ends. There is also evidence that Mr.
    >Bell talked "hypothetically" of poisoning a city's water supply.

    Kristof is misrepresenting the facts. (1) Bell was never charged with
    manufacturing sarin, and the trial record includes no evidence to that
    effect. You'd think that if these unnamed "authorities" -- a bland, useless
    term -- had anything beyond inchoate fears, they would have said something
    after they raided his home; (2) Bell stink-bombed the carpet outside an IRS
    office with mercaptan, a smelly chemical that forced the office to close
    for the day. Saying it was a "chemical attack" is misleading; (3) "AP" is
    not a particularly clever scheme, and it nevertheless was and is legal to
    publish. (Bell was charged with "stalking" federal agents. He says he was
    investigating them stalking him [which they were, albeit with court orders.])

    I'll bet anyone $100 that Kristof never interviewed Bell before making such
    incendiary statements.

    Jim Bell archive:
    http://www.mccullagh.org/subpoena/
    http://www.cluebot.com/search.pl?topic=ap-politics