FC: How to patent a Harvard scientist (his parents' idea)

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sun Jun 09 2002 - 23:16:27 PDT

    Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 08:25:18 -0700
    To: Dave Farber <daveat_private>, Matthew Gaylor <freemattat_private>,
        Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>
    From: Jim Warren <jwarrenat_private>
    Subject: FWD: [Random-bits] Patenting the Harvard Scientist

    Perhaps this will lead the next step in patent lunacy/excess, now that
    they're happy to issue patents genetic information and processes, and even
    for thought processes (when in the form of business activities or computer
    programs).

    Even if this particular creation was accidental, intention or effort to
    invent something is not a requirement for such government-granted
    monopolies.  There are endless examples of other completely unplanned,
    completely unexpected accidents that were patented and thus monopolized for
    decades.

    However ... this particular application will obviously be rejected -- after
    all, it's not filed by a gluttonous, possession-driven corporation.

    (And ... if I [or perhaps my parents] "invent" a disease or bacterium -- or
    genetic sequence -- why should a pharmaceutical cartel or medical
    conglomerate be permitted to patent it ... when my parents or I created the
    original/prior art?! ;-)

    --jim