FC: Ad touts "sneaky" new Sony digital camera's illicit uses

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sun Jun 16 2002 - 22:21:22 PDT

    [Two thoughts: The ad appears to come from imagestation.com, not Sony;
    second, it's not clear that such an advertisement is illegal. --Declan]

    ---

    Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 00:57:52 -0400
    Subject: sony ad
    From: "K.  A. Taipale" <katat_private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>

    Declan--

    Have you seen the Sony email ad for their "sneaky" new camera (see
    below)?  "Small enough to sneak into any event" is the tag line.  Followed
    by "Sure they're compact enough to fit into your pocket, but they're also
    packing hi-end features that'll make the difference between so-so concert
    bootleg shots and the ones worthy of being printed on giant posters."

    Isn't this a direct appeal to those who would sneak into an event to
    record/photograph someone else's intellectual property without permission
    -- they even use the term "bootleg"?  This from Sony at the same time that
    they are busily trying to prevent others from copying their own IP!   I
    would love to be a defense lawyer representing someone that Sony was trying
    to get on infringement and show this to a jury.   Even the weak footnoted
    disclaimer they include doesn't say that it would be wrong to sneak it in,
    just that they don't "recommend or endorse" it and that you might encounter
    a big bouncer.  This strikes me as a really bad creative choice/decision
    and this ad would definitely be difficult for Sony to explain or defend.

    --K

    If you use this please do not attribute it to me and/or delete my name and
    email address.  Thanks.

    Sure they're compact enough to fit into your pocket, but they're also
    packing hi-end features that'll make the difference between so-so concert
    bootleg shots and the ones worthy of being printed on giant posters.

    Be among the first to get the NEW DSC-P7 and P2 Cyber-shot(r) digital
    cameras from the ImageStation online store and receive FREE Shipping and
    FREE Prints when you pre-order yours before June 28th.

    Start with the NEW Sony DSC-P2
    o    3-area multi-point auto focus and 5-step manual focus
    o    improved exposure features with selectable multi-pattern measuring modes
    o    entry-level price at $399.95, or $11.85/month with Sony Financing**

    Pre-order for FREE Shipping and 10 FREE 4x6" Prints**
    http://www.imagestation.com/shop/product/sony/?prodID=10354

    Get More Resolution with the NEW DSC-P7
    o    3.2 MegaPixel resolution for sharp 2048x1536 images
    o    3 MPEG Movie Modes for video that's goes as long as you have memory
    o    Multi-burst mode captures 16 images at selectable intervals
    Only $499.95, or $14.86/month with Sony Financing**

    Pre-order for FREE Shipping and 10 FREE 4x6" Prints**
    http://www.imagestation.com/shop/product/sony/?prodID=10360

    Go Top-of-the-Line with the DSC-P9
    o    4.1 MegaPixel Resolution (gross)
    o    very compact package design
    o    only $599.95 or $17.83/month with Sony Financing**

    Order now
    http://www.imagestation.com/shop/product/sony/?prodID=10284

    Necessary Accessories

    o    Protect and Carry
    It's practical. It's fashionable. It's the "in" way to prevent damage to
    your beautiful new Cyber-shot DSC-P7 and P2 digital camera. Order by 6/28
    for FREE Shipping.

    NEW LCS-PA Sporty Neoprene Carrying Case
    http://www.imagestation.com/shop/product/sony/?prodID=10347

    More Cyber-shot camera carrying cases
    http://www.imagestation.com/shop/product/sony/list.html?class=accessory&type=2501

    o    Perfection in Lighting
    The HVL-FSL1 gives you creative control thanks to its ability to be
    positioned virtually anywhere and wirelessly auto-synchronize with your
    camera's existing flash. Order by 6/28 for FREE Shipping.

    NEW HVL-FSL1 Flash
    http://www.imagestation.com/shop/product/sony/?prodID=10346

    View all Lights and Flashes
    http://www.imagestation.com/shop/product/sony/list.html?class=accessory&type=2503,2514

    o    Take your P9 Underwater
    Indulge your inner Jacques Cousteau with our assortment of marine
    accessories that let you take your camera as deep as 40 meters. Order by
    6/28 for FREE Shipping.

    NEW Marine Pack
    http://www.imagestation.com/shop/product/sony/?prodID=10317

    Marine Pack Light
    http://www.imagestation.com/shop/product/sony/?prodID=10350

    Marine Pack Color Filter Kit
    http://www.imagestation.com/shop/product/sony/?prodID=10177

    ====================================================================================================================

    *We don't endorse or recommend 'sneaking' your digital camera into events
    that prohibit such activity. Sure, it's tempting considering how compact,
    how cool, and how easy it would be with these new Cyber-shot digital
    cameras. But do you really want to deal with some 6-foot plus bouncer who's
    having a bad day and isn't in the mood for such trickery? Heck no. We're
    just trying to make a point about the compact size and capabilities of the
    new line of Sony Cyber-shot digital cameras. With that in mind, shoot
    safely and enjoy the summer.

    **See website for free shipping, free prints and Sony Financing details

    Not responsible for typographical errors. Offer is limited to supply
    availability. Sony products cannot be shipped to destinations outside the US.

    Privacy  http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/legal/privacy.html
    Legal/Trademark http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/legal/
    (c) 2002 Sony Electronics e-Solutions Company LLC. All Rights Reserved

    If you are unable to read this email, please click here:
    http://www.imagestation.com/promo/email/P2_P7_P9/