FC: James Bamford's Independent Institute talk airing on CSPAN

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sun Jun 16 2002 - 22:24:55 PDT

    Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 16:31:37 -0700
    To: declanat_private
    From: David Theroux <DTherouxat_private>
    Subject: Re: FC: I've left Wired News and have a new job

    Dear Declan,

    Congratulations on your new post!

    Please also forward me your snail mail addresses in DC and SF.

    Also, could you please post a notice for the C-SPAN2 airings of our recent
    Independent Policy Forum with JAMES BAMFORD on the NSA?  For your review, I
    am adding below the info.

    Best regards,

    David
    --
    David J. Theroux
    Founder and President

    Dear Friend,

    With the recent revelations about U.S. intelligence failures regarding the
    tragedy of 9/11, we are pleased to announce that starting this Sunday,
    C-SPAN2/Book TV will begin showing our very timely Independent Policy Forum
    event, "Big Brother is Watching,"
    <http://www.independent.org/tii/forums/020606ipf2.html> held before a
    capacity crowd at The Independent Institute with investigative journalist
    JAMES BAMFORD (author of BODY OF SECRETS: Anatomy of the Ultra-Secret
    National Security Agency
    <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0385499086/theindepeende-20>):

    * Sunday, June 16, at 6:35 a.m. Pacific Time (9:35 a.m. Eastern)
    * Sunday, June 16, at 3:30 p.m. Pacific Time (6:30 p.m. Eastern)
    * Monday, June 17, at 3:35 a.m. Pacific Time (6:35 a.m. Eastern)

    Changes in the schedule may be posted at: <http://www.booktv.org/>.

    Among the many highlights of Bamford's talk:

    * An overview of the little-known National Security Agency, which monitors
    communications around the globe, and -- with more than 30,000 employees and
    an annual budget exceeding $5 billion -- is by far the world's largest
    intelligence agency.

    * For more than three decades prior to 1975, but without a search warrant,
    the NSA monitored every telegram sent to or from the United States through
    Western Union.

    * During Bamford's research for his book, BODY OF SECRETS, he obtained
    documents related to "Operation Northwoods," a plan drawn up and approved
    by the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff in the early 1960s to commit covert
    terrorist assaults upon Americans to generate popular support for a war
    against Cuba.

    * The creation of a new Department of Homeland Security will accelerate the
    threat to civil liberties posed by the government's "security-industrial
    complex."

    * Despite its size and budget, the volume of electronic communications
    worldwide routinely overwhelms the bureaucratic NSA's ability to process
    the information it gathers in enough time to protect Americans.

    Indeed, the day following Bamford's talk at The Independent Institute, a
    news report claimed that the NSA monitored a pre-Sept. 11th telephone
    conversation between hijackers Khalid Shaikh Mohammad and Mohamed Atta, and
    this information was never passed along.

    See "Another U.S. agency had clues before Sept. 11, some officials say,"
    (MERCURY NEWS, 6/7/02) at
    <http://www.bayarea.com/mld/bayarea/news/3419903.htm>.

    If you don't have television access to C-SPAN2/Book TV, you can watch the
    program on-line at the scheduled time at:
    <http://www.booktv.org/watch/>.  In addition, transcripts, audio tapes, and
    videos of this program can be ordered directly from The Independent
    Institute by visiting the following web page:
    <http://www.independent.org/tii/forums/020606ipf2.html>.

    We hope that you will find this important and very timely program of
    particular interest and value.

    Best regards,

    David J. Theroux
    Founder and President