FC: Wash. state judge gives Trummel until Friday to delete info

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 06:53:04 PDT

    News coverage:
    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/74939_freespeech17.shtml

    Politech archive:
    http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=trummel

     From Anonymous, suggesting that politechnicals mirror these site before
    it's too late:
    >Trummel's writings may be found at www.contracabal.org (uncensored) and
    >www.contracabal.net (censored)
    >
    >The names and contact information that form the basis of Trummel's
    >contempt are at:
    >http://contracabal.org/801-09.htm
    >I suspect he may take these down in the next few days, so the link could
    >go bad at any time.
    >
    >Judge Doerty's website is at http://www.jdoerty.com I suspect that many of
    >the entries in the guestbook are going to disappear very soon!
    >http://jdoerty.com/guestbook.html

    Elena (below) is a Washington state attorney who has worked on similar
    First Amendment cases before (http://www.politechbot.com/p-03324.html).

    Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 22:16:14 -0700
    To: declanat_private
    From: Elena Luisa Garella <garellaat_private>
    Subject: Re:Disturbing comments by Judge in Trummel free speech case.

    Declan--

    I believe you are familiar with the Trummel case.  Paul Trummel was, until
    April, 2001, a resident of Council House, a HUD-funded housing project for
    the elderly in Seattle, WA.  He wrote a newsletter that reported
    allegations regarding the poor administration of Council House and some of
    the activities of fellow residents.  Council House sought and obtained a
    restraining order based on allegations of harassment. Judge James Doerty
    presided.  The Order (April 19, 2001) required him to stay 500' away from
    Council House, effectively operated as an eviction.

    Mr. Trummel continued his self-styled investigation of wrong doings at
    Council House, and posted the names, addresses, phone numbers and email
    addresses of the Officers and Board of Directors.  The Court issued another
    restraining order, banning Mr. Trummel from "posting on the Internet or to
    his web site, directly or indirectly, any personal identifying information,
    including, but not limited to the name, address, phone number, Social
    Security Number, or photograph of any current, former or future staff
    member, resident, board memeber, or agent, including attorneys, of Council
    House."

    Mr. Trummel apparently posted the information anyway.  (By the way, I do
    not believe he ever posted anyone's SSN.  I also believe the information he
    posted was restricted to those people who administer and/or direct Council
    House.  However, I have not reviewed the entirety of his web-sites or seen
    all of its various incarnations).  The Court put Mr. Trummel in jail three
    and a half months ago for civil contempt .  About a month ago, the Court
    further ordered that Mr. Trummel be restricted from using the phone except
    to call his attorney.  King County Jail then placed Mr. Trummel in solitary
    confinement, in a cell next to alleged "Green River Killer" Gary
    Ridgway.
    http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=ridgway14m&date=20020614&query=ridgway

    At the time he was initially jailed, the Court failed to advise Mr. Trummel
    that he was entitled to counsel, and that, because he is indigent, counsel
    would be provided to him free of charge.  (Because the civil contempt
    proceeding involved the threat of imprisonment, Mr. Trummel had a right to
    an attorney).  On May 1, 2002, the Court finally appointed Mr. Trummel a
    lawyer.  That lawyer, Brad Meryhew, asked Judge Doerty to vacate the
    finding of contempt and to recuse himself on grounds that the judge's
    impartiality is suspect due to the denial of counsel.

    Today I attended the hearing on the motion to vacate and for recusal.  The
    Court did not enter a decision, continuing the matter until this
    Friday.  The Court did release Mr. Trummel until that date, apparently to
    give him an opportunity to remove the offending matter from the
    Internet.  The Court delivered a startling (and, IMHO, depressingly
    misguided)  blast at Mr. Trummel and his rights.  That oral opinion can be
    found attached and at http://www.metrokc.gov/kcsc/

    It is beyond the scope of this letter to explore everything that is wrong
    and dangerous about this opinion.  A few (and just a few) of my
    observations are as follows:

    1) On page 2, the Court states that this "is a case about balancing speech
    and the right of privacy."  I am aware of no decision of precedential value
    that curbs free speech based on the privacy rights claims of others.  This
    is simply not the correct test.  The test, under the US Constitution, is
    whether or not the speech must be restrained in order to serve a
    significant government interest.” Madsen v. Women’s Health Center, 512 U.S.
    753, 764, 114 S. Ct. 2516, 129 L. Ed. 2d 593 (1994).  Any court order
    restricting such speech must “burden no more speech than necessary to serve
    a significant government interest.”  Madsen v. Women’s Health Center, 512
    U.S. 753, 764, 114 S. Ct. 2516, 129 L. Ed. 2d 593 (1994) (upholding 36-foot
    buffer zone as applied to only certain areas around abortion
    clinic).  Washington law is even more protective:
    [T]ime, place and manner restrictions may be imposed whenever the right of
    free speech under Const. art.1, § 5 has been abused, but only if the
    restrictions (1) are content neutral, (2) are narrowly tailored to serve a
    compelling State interest, and (3) leave open ample alternative channels of
    communication.

    Bering v. Share, 106 Wn.2d 212, 234, 721 P.2d 918 (1986).  Restrictions
    that are not tailored to a significant (or compelling) government interest,
    and do not leave adequate “breathing space” for speech protected by the
    First Amendment, are unconstitutional.  Madsen, 512 U.S. at 773-74, 129
    L.Ed.2d at 612-13, (striking down 300-foot restriction on solicitation and
    picketing at abortion clinic).  Any restrictions on Mr. Trummel's
    activities must be narrowly tailored to a compelling state interest and
    leave open ample alternative channels of communication.  Notwithstanding
    these precedents, the Court has ordered a 500' no-contact zone for Mr.
    Trummel, and is contemplated a one-mile restriction!    (See page 16 of the
    decision).  A one-mile restriction would bar Mr. Trummel from much of
    Seattle, including, in all likelihood many essential medical, legal and
    governmental offices.

    2) The Court presumes that it has the power to prohibit the promulgation of
    names of people.  I don't believe that any other  US Court has found a
    privacy right vested in one's own name.  Mr. Trummel has posted the names
    and contact information of persons who are involved in a public enterprise
    (the running of a partially federally funded housing project!).  They are
    limited purpose public figures.  I do not see how publication of their
    names, or legally obtained contact information, can be restrained for the
    same reasons I opposed such restraint in Kirkland v. Sheehan.  Indeed, were
    the Court correct in this regard, the newspaper could be banned from
    publishing Mr. Trummel's name!  It is absurd.

    {RCW 63.30, cited by the Court on page 11, does not exist; I believe the
    reference is to RCW 63.60.010, which states:

    Every individual or personality, as the case may be, has a property right
    in the use of his or her name, voice, signature, photograph, or likeness,
    and such right shall be freely transferable, assignable, and licensable, in
    whole or in part, by any otherwise permissible form of inter vivos or
    testamentary transfer, including without limitation a will, trust,
    contract, community property agreement, or cotenancy with survivorship
    provisions or payable-on- death provisions, or, if none is applicable,
    under the laws of intestate succession applicable to interests in
    intangible personal property. The property right does not expire upon the
    death of the individual or personality, as the case may be. The right
    exists whether or not it was commercially exploited by the individual or
    the personality during the individual's or the personality's lifetime.

    This statute bars profiting from someone else's intangible property
    rights-- e.g. commercial endorsements using a person's likeness or name
    without permission]

    3) Ironically, the Court, while (improperly) pointing out that Mr. Trummel
    is not an American and therefore "perhaps . . . has difficulty in
    understanding this basic principle of a federal republic" appears to have
    its own difficulties with the concept.  At the top of page 8, and
    throughout the opinion, the Court argues that the Washington privacy clause
    and anti-harassment statute somehow trump the US Constitution!  In fact,
    this is wrong, wrong, wrong, and the Court need only review State v.
    Williams,  144 Wash.2d 197, 26 P.3d 890 (2001) for a fine explication of
    why a state statute is necessarily limited by federal constitutional rights.

    4) The Court also doesn't understand the concept of prior restraint.  On
    pages 8 -9, the Court suggests that because the Court's order affects only
    100 words of Mr. Trummel's website, there is only a "slight infringement on
    his free speech" and "no prior restraint."  In fact, the Court has made a
    content-based restriction, and it doesn't matter if it is one word or a
    million.  Indeed, a great deal of damage could be done to virtually any
    work of literature--or court opinion, for that matter-- via the removal of
    a "mere" 100 words.

    The upshot is this:  Mr. Trummel has four days to remove the offending
    names, addresses and phone numbers from his website.  If he fails to do so,
    he's likely to be put back into jail.  Even if he does comply, he may face
    serious sanctions, including restriction from 3.14 square miles in the
    middle of Seattle.  Sorry for the long letter-- but this has the makings of
    a civil rights travesty.

    Elena Garella
    Attorney
    927 N. Northlake Way, Ste. 301