FC: Microsoft's Palladium news roundup, criticism, and more

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 28 2002 - 08:31:00 PDT

    Politech has been slow to discuss this since I was in Moscow when Steven
    Levy's article appeared. Here it is:
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/770511.asp

    Other coverage:
    http://enquirer.com/editions/2002/06/25/fin_microsoft_discloses.html
    http://
    www.nwfusion.com/news/2002/0625mspall.html
    http://news.ninemsn.com.au/Sci_Tech/story_34263.asp
    http://www.wired.com/new
    s/business/0,1367,53466,00.html

    ---

    Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 19:56:15 +0200
    From: Lars Gaarden <larsgat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Subject: On Palladium

    Declan,

    perhaps the following could be of interest to Politech:

    If you are to believe recent articles in the mainstream media,
    MicroSoft is working on the final solution to computer security and
    online privacy.
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/770511.asp
    http://news.com.com/2100-1001-938957.html

     From the news articles it sounds like the core of Palladium is designed
    as a system that computer security professionals call a "Trusted
    System".

    Trusted Systems have existed for several years, and are generally used
    by NSA and other organizations to protect classified information. One
    real-world example of a somewhat-trusted system is the Java sandbox.
    When your browser downloads a Java applet, you want to know that it
    is restricted - for example, that it can't access the disk and obtain
    a copy of your mailbox. To achieve this the Java interpreter runs the
    applet in a virtual sandbox and denies the applet access outside this
    box.

    The difference between a Java sandbox and a true Trusted System is that
    java is a pure software environment - the Java interpreter can't verify
    itself to make sure that it has not been altered in a way that would
    compromise the sandbox. In security lingo - the Trusted Computing Base
    which implements the Trusted System is not protected from tampering.
     From the description of Palladium, it sounds like it will have some
    additional hardware support in order to verify itself.

    So, Palladium will be a tamper-resistant black box inside your computer.

    Now, what can this be used for and why would we want this in the next
    computer we buy?

    According to MicroSoft, Palladium will supposedly seal information from
    attackers, block viruses and worms, eliminate spam, and allow users to
    control their personal information even after it leaves their computer.

    That sounds nice, but what does this imply?

    Information sealing:

    To protect your own information from hackers sounds like the only
    good feature of Palladium. I can put my credit card number, documents
    and other information inside the black box and control which software
    is allowed to access this information. Still, there are encryption
    programs out there today from companies like PGP that provides similar
    features.

    Malware blocking:

    Viruses and worms are basically just software. Malicious software, but
    still just software. And as such, they are virtually indistinguishable
    from other software applications. In order to block malware, you need a
    system where only 'approved' software is allowed to run. Approved
    software will be software signed by a key that the Palladium system
    trusts. That leaves us with one problem - who gets to decide which
    software is approved and which is not? Surely we can't give this power
    to the end-user that habitually click 'ok' on any security warning in
    order to see the latest cool mail attachment. As Melissa and other
    worms/viruses have shown in the past, this won't increase system
    security one bit. What MicroSoft is saying is that we are supposed to
    trust them to be the benevolent dictator that decides which software to
    trust. How will hobbyists or small ISVs get their applications signed?
    It sounds like MS is using the malware scare as a means to force feed us
    a system where only MicroSoft-approved code can run.

    Spam elimination:

    How do you eliminate spam? You can use certain heuretics to discover and
    block at least a portion of spam, but it is practically impossible to
    eliminate it using the current Internet e-mail system. A system like
    Palladium won't make traditional spam recognition any easier. However,
    it provides a secure key that can be used to sign your own email
    messages and it can verify the signatures from other Palladium users. It
    sounds like MS' 'solution' to spam is to classify all non-Palladium-
    signed email as spam and let only mail signed by senders that you have
    approved through. In MicroSoft's spam-free world, only Longhorn users
    can send e-mail to eachother.

    External control of information:

    Finally, you can control your personal information after it leaves your
    computer. Sounds nice until you rephrase it: if I receive content from
    your 'black box', you can set restrictions on this content and my 'black
    box' will make sure I can't do anything to the content that you don't
    want me to. This is exactly the kind of thing that Hollywood and the
    large music companies have been asking the technology companies to give
    them, and MS is providing it under the guise of protecting privacy.

    Palladium isn't a solution to computer security and privacy, it is a
    system designed to strengthen MicroSoft's control over the operating
    system platform and to make Windows the platform of choice for DRM-
    protected digital content.

    --
    LarsG

    ---