FC: Why NYC Time Warner is right to send nastygrams: "It's theft!"

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 28 2002 - 11:48:54 PDT

    "NYC Time Warner Cable sending nastygrams to free 802.11 points?"

    To: declanat_private
    Subject: Re: FC: NYC Time Warner Cable sending nastygrams to free 802.11
    points?
    From: tomgat_private
    Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 15:30:44 -0500

    I think it's instructive that Rick describes his wireless device a "public
    access point."

    I run wireless access points both in my office and my home, but they are
    not "public" access points.  I would immediately, instinctively know that
    to do so is wrong. When it was first pointed out to me by a friend that the
    default configuration of the wireless access point gave access to anyone
    within its range, I immediately reconfigured the access point and all
    workstations.  I immediately, instinctively knew that it was wrong, without
    reading the fine print of my contract with the ISP.

    It is to give away something for free that someone has not paid for. It is
    to give my provider scores of consumers of its services while only giving
    them 1 paying customer.

    If I subscribe to a cable tv service and run wires to all the homes in my
    neighborhood giving them free cable, that is obviously stealing. I see no
    difference between that and providing a "public" access point.

    If someone wants to be noble and provide free, public, wireless internet
    access to scores of people, they should own up to what they are doing,
    assume all the real costs of business, and negotiate some sort of public
    license from their content source. THAT is noble. Stealing content and
    giving it away is not noble--it's Robin Hood.

    Tom Giovanetti
    President
    Institute for Policy Innovation (IPI)
    http://www.ipi.org