FC: ICANN lawyer Joe Sims to John Gilmore: "Doesn't have a clue"

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 16:22:37 PDT

    "Salon interviews John Gilmore: 'It's time for ICANN to go'"

    Subject: Response to John Gilmore
    To: daveat_private, Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>
    From: "Joe Sims" <jsimsat_private>
    Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 15:15:56 -0400

    Since John Gilmore chooses to use my name in his imaginary history of how
    we got to where we are, I thought it would be appropriate to lay out the
    real facts.  Since both of you published the original interview, perhaps
    you would think it appropriate to publish this response.

    Perhaps Gilmore once had (or maybe still has)something to offer of value,
    but that does not include either political science or history.  In the
    World According to Gilmore, Vint Cerf is a traitor, Jon Postel was a
    coward, and ICANN is just another manifestation of the military-industrial
    complex at work.  Karl Auerbach is the modern day Martha Mitchell (I agree
    there is some resemblance), and Joe Sims has single-handedly manipulated
    this process to earn enormous fees for him and his law firm.  It makes for
    a great story, and to people like Gilmore, and publications like Salon, I
    suppose it is just an inconvenience that it is almost total fantasy.

    Let's get rid of the greedy lawyer canard up front.  This point simply
    reveals Gilmore's lack of understanding of the law business.  I was fully
    occupied before I was retained by Jon Postel, and would also be so today if
    I was not representing ICANN.  The notion that I or Jones Day, which
    provided more than $1 million of pro bono time to Jon Postel, and has since
    the formation of ICANN provided its services at cost, is doing this for
    money is a joke.  For one thing, there is not enough money in the world to
    put up with the unadulterated BS of Gilmore and his more personally
    offensive colleagues. The opportunity to avoid the daily garbage spewed out
    by those, like Gilmore, that either don't know better or don't care what
    the real facts are, is highly appealing to me.  As I have already
    indicated, as soon as this reform process has reached a point where I feel
    that I can retreat from this warzone, I plan to retire from this effort.

    As for the rest of Gilmore's version of history, here are the relevant
    facts:

    1.  Gilmore says he was involved in the process of creating the original
    ICANN bylaws, but that "they" ignored EFF's suggested wording changes to
    fix what it saw as a lack of accountability.  I have a very distinct
    recollection of those proposed changes, and of at least one conversation
    with Gilmore on them; the particular provision that sticks out in my mind
    from the suggestions was his proposal that the ICANN bylaws incorporate the
    United Nations Declaration of Universal Human Rights.  Gilmore is certainly
    correct that I was not enthusiastic about this suggestion, but perhaps
    others will not be surprised that neither was anyone else involved in the
    process, including Jon Postel.  In fact, I believe Jon made that point
    directly to Gilmore, who was then and remains today on the extreme fringe
    of rational thinking on ICANN issues.  The general reaction to his
    suggestions were that they were either unworkable, or as illustrated by the
    UN point, just plain silly.

    2.  Gilmore's understanding of the Auerbach litigation is either incomplete
    or disengenuous.  The issue in the Auerbach litigation is whether each
    individual director of a non-profit corporation has the unilateral right to
    make decisions about the distribution of information from the corporation,
    or whether that responsibility rests with the Board as a whole.  Karl
    Auerbach has always treated his seat on the Board as an individual duchy,
    his to preside over without regard to the views of his fellow directors,
    and he has refused to even discuss this issue with the rest of the Board.
    Contrary to Gilmore's assertions, this litigation has nothing to do with
    access to information; Karl and all other directors have access to any
    information anytime they want, and other directors have taken advantage of
    this right on several occasions.  What an individual director cannot do is
    to impose his individual views on the entire organization, since that would
    mean that there was not one Board but rather several independent Boards,
    each made up of a single director.  Auerbach understands this, which is why
    he has refused numerous offers to actually review the materials in
    question, and why he has yet to take his case to the Board itself, as
    called for by ICANN policy.  Gilmore may or may not understand it (from his
    statements it is not clear), but if he does not, his description is simply
    ignorant rather than disengenuous.

    3.  I won't bother to respond to his SAIC story, since it is irrelevant to
    the issues facing ICANN today.  I would simply note that both SAIC and
    Gilmore appear to have profited from the same economic environment.

    4.  Gilmore seems to be saying that the ICANN Board is too big and too
    divided to be functional.  In his view, somewhat inconsistently, the Board
    is loaded with "yes men, who'll support management whether they're right or
    wrong."  Here again, the real facts are apparently just an inconvenience
    for Gilmore, to be discarded if they interfere with his conspiracy theory.
    In fact, the Board is not divided at all; the vast majority of its votes
    result in a larger than two-thirds majority.  It is true that Karl is
    frequently in the minority, but that minority is often a minority of one,
    or less frequently two or three.  I find the math interesting; the fact
    that the vast majority of the Board (including those others elected by the
    general public) does not agree with Auerbach to Gilmore means that the
    Board is dsyfunctional.  Others might conclude, on the same facts, that it
    is Auerbach that is dysfunctional.  It is interesting, for example, to look
    at what happened with the latest Board decision on reform -- to adopt the
    Blueprint for Reform proposed by the Evolution and Reform Committee in
    Bucharest.  Karl did not even deign to participate in the Bucharest
    meeting, which was probably one of, if not the, most important meetings in
    ICANN's history, since it determined how ICANN would be reformed and
    restructured for the future.  Karl was AWOL, choosing not to even attempt
    to participate by the conference phone link that ICANN had established for
    his sole use.  But the rest of the Board was there -- every single one of
    them -- and they unanimously adopted the Blueprint as the roadmap to
    ongoing reform.  This unanimous vote included ALL of the directors chosen
    by the Protocol Supporting Organization, ALL the directors chosen by the
    Address Supporting Organization, ALL the directors chosen by the Domain
    Name Supporting Organization, and perhaps most importantly for this point,
    ALL the directors elected by the general public -- except for Karl, who
    chose to abdicate his fiduciary obligation and simply absent himself from
    the proceedings.  Now, to Gilmore this unanimity no doubt merely reflects
    the fact that all those people, selected from all those different sources,
    are simply "yes men," merely doing what they are told by management.  This
    gives an awful lot of credit to management, and impugns the ability and
    integrity of a large number of people, including Vint Cerf and others,
    whose contributions and devotion to the Internet are at least as great as
    those of John Gilmore.

    5.  Finally, in response to a question on the international situation,
    Gilmore says he is no expert, and then proceeds to prove it.  Gilmore is
    one of a group of American critics who assume that American values and
    reactions are and should be determinative in decisions about ICANN, and who
    thus dismiss as inconsequential the contrary views of those around the
    world.  To Gilmore, there apparently are no other relevant governments
    other than the US government, and he certainly demonstrates no
    understanding at all of the complicated geo-political issues swirling
    around ICANN.  This head-in-the-sand attitude is unfortunately quite common
    among ICANN's American critics -- who not coincidentally are far louder
    than the non-American critics, which may mean there are fewer of the
    latter, or may mean only that the Americans are particularly boorish in the
    enunciation of their views.  The plain facts are that the US government
    cannot act unilaterally in this area; the Internet, after all, is a global
    resource, not the property of the United States.  Just as we have seen in
    the US government approach to the .us registry, other national governments
    have strong views about these issues, and their views are not uniformly
    consistent with those of John Gilmore or Karl Auerbach.  To those folks,
    this just means that those others don't understand the true values of the
    Internet; to those others, the views of the Gilmore's of the world simply
    demonstrate how incredibly parochial some people can be.  ICANN must
    accomodate all those views, ranging from the Gilmore's to those of
    governments around the world, and try at the same time to produce a
    workable organization that is not as cumbersome and unresponsive as the
    typical multinational governmental bureaucracy.  Whether Gilmore
    understands it or not, creating global consensus is hard work, and requires
    compromise, not extremism.

    The most outrageous part of Gilmore's interview was his description of Jon
    Postel as "spineless."  To be candid, Gilmore doesn't have a clue about
    most of what he is talking about, and thus his views are basically
    worthless.  I hope that this effort to provide some balance will allow
    interested readers to make their own judgments about what is going on here.

    Joe Sims
    Jones Day Reavis & Pogue
    51 Louisiana Avenue NW
    Washington, D.C. 20001
    Direct Phone:  1.202.879.3863
    Direct Fax:  1.202.626.1747
    Mobile Phone:  1.703.629.3963

    The preceding e-mail message (including any attachments) contains
    information that may be confidential, be protected by the attorney-client
    or other applicable privileges, or constitute non-public information.  It
    is intended to be conveyed only to the designated recipient(s).  If you are
    not an intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender by
    replying to this message and then delete it from your system.  Use,
    dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this message by unintended
    recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.