FC: Is the U.S. government a clueless spammer?

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 22:47:53 PDT

    [Since it's early in the ayem on the Fourth of July, I suspect we won't get
    a verification from the Commerce Department today. But this has at least
    the ring of authenticity. For instance, there is in fact an Amy Magat who
    works for the DOC in Los Angeles
    (http://www.usatrade.gov/website/website.nsf/WebBySubj/Main_PressRelease080101a).
    The number given below for Tony Reyes identifies as such in voicemail. And
    the person forwarding it to spam-l is a frequent spam-reporter. But why
    would the DOC spam? Did they contract this out to a clueless bulkmailer? Is
    it an accident? Seems strange. --Declan]

    ---