FC: Famous former NYC cop laments loss of individual liberties

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 10:23:09 PDT

    From: "Danny Yavuzkurt" <ady1at_private>
    To: "Declan McCullagh" <declanat_private>
    Subject: Frank Serpico publicly criticizes 'anti-terrorism' measures
    Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 21:20:00 -0400

    http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/news/nation/3612338.htm

    Very short article; merely a blurb, but I find it interesting that when he
    spoke out against the losses of freedom we've suffered in the 'fight against
    terrorism,' he was jeered at by the audience - the same audience that came to
    hear him read the Declaration of Independence.  Does the hypocrisy of the
    American public know no bounds?  How can these people be such sheep?

    -Danny

    "Posted on Sat, Jul. 06, 2002

    Serpico decries anti-terror measures
    Associated Press

    CHATHAM, N.Y. - Frank Serpico, the whistle-blowing ex-New York City cop,
    criticized the government's anti-terrorism
    measures at a July Fourth reading of the Declaration of Independence.

    "It is my opinion that never before have we, as a nation, stood in greater
    danger of losing our individual liberties as we are today," he said. "We, the
    people of this great nation, are being punished for the transgressions of our
    leaders and their consorts."

    Despite catcalls from the audience, he continued with his statement before
    moving on to the text of the historic document.

    "When I still have the freedom to speak, I'll always use it," said Serpico,
    best known for fighting corruption within the police department in the 1960s.

    [...]