FC: David Scott Anderson: An unapologetic resume spammer, and a twist

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 18:35:30 PDT

    David Scott Anderson is not merely a resume spammer -- he's a singularly
    unapologetic one.

    Last Tuesday, Anderson spammed me with his resume ("Robust understanding of
    Internet and other new-economy technologies"), which listed a
    dsanderson3at_private address as a reply point. I dutifully forwarded his
    spamogram to Yahoo's abuse address, with a copy to him, which I try to do
    with spam if I have time.

    Anderson was not just irked. He was positively peeved. He fired off a
    nastygram calling me an "asshole" for reporting him to Yahoo. Quoth
    Anderson in his reply: "I have looked at your site, and AM NOT impressed,
    you are a sniveling little technophile who has the arrogance and sense of
    self importance the actually believe someone cares!"

    He confidently predicted that he's "not afraid of Yahoo warning me about
    spamming" and said "don't bother to respond, or if you do, respond to
    Yahoo's SPAM Bot, I am sure they will be greatly moved by your whining."

    I wrote back, again copying abuseat_private, saying: "Of course you are in
    violation of Yahoo's terms of service. Perhaps they will not choose to
    enforce it, but I suspect they will. Not only are you an recidivist
    spammer, you are an unapologetic one." (For the record, I have no idea what
    Yahoo did, if anything.)

    That exchange was no surprise. As anyone who's tussled with spammers knows,
    a heated response when you report someone is hardly unusual.

    But what happened next was. Later that day, near as I can tell, Anderson
    reported my mail server to SpamCop and OsriSoft.com -- alleging,
    incorrectly, that I was spamming him. (This is, incidentally, the same mail
    server that runs the Politech list.)

    To their credit, SpamCop wrote to me on July 6 saying that Anderson's false
    accusations violated SpamCop's rules: "I took action against him according
    to our Terms of Service." You can see the SpamCop report here:
    http://spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblock&ip=server1.cluebot.com

    OsriSoft.com, on the other hand, appears to have incorrectly listed my mail
    server as a spam-site for a few days, preventing some list subscribers from
    receiving mail or sending submissions to Politech's list address. On
    Saturday, one list member who was wondering what happened sent me this
    excerpt from his mail log:
    >Jul  4 13:19:20 [deleted] sendmail[6743]: NOQUEUE: ruleset=check_relay,
    >arg1=server1.cluebot.com, arg2=216.110.36.217, relay=server1.cluebot.com
    >[216.110.36.217], reject=553 Mail from 216.110.36.217 refused; see
    >http://relays.osirusoft.com/

    The Politech mail server is no longer listed, but a policy of
    add-first-and-check-later raises troubling questions about how reliable
    blacklists can be. I like the concept in theory, but in practice they seem
    to be far more problematic than smart (perhaps eventually collaborative)
    end-user filtering. See:
    http://relays.osirusoft.com/cgi-bin/rbcheck.cgi?addr=216.110.36.217

    As longtime Politechnicals know, this isn't the first time I've been
    accused of spamming. A Fleishman-Hillard sysadmin reported Politech to the
    same cluster of anti-spam services:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/15/technology/15SPAM.html

    Since last week, Anderson has variously (a) threatened to sue me, (b)
    accused me of racism, and (c) announced that he had reported my server to
    uceat_private, the U.S. Federal Trade Commission's report-spam-here address.

    Excerpts from a representative email:
    - "I will be contacting an attorney..."
    - "Is it possible that you are a racist. Did you go to my site and see that
    I am African American, and have a problem with that?"
    - "The resume was sent to you by a service, not me personally..."

    He's also complained to the Well (which I use for email), with the Subject:
    line "Harassment Complaint."

    Yes, of course these complaints are spurious. Yes, they can and should be
    ignored. But I wonder what would happen to someone else -- who may not be
    as familiar with the Internet and the law -- who attempts to report a
    spammer. If their account is blacklisted by a "anti-spam" service, if they
    receive legal threats, and if their Internet provider is contacted, they
    may not be so nonchalant in reply.

    In other words, the current system isn't working. It's too user-hostile,
    and (in the typical refrain) arose as a successor to the
    postmaster@hostname system that, in turn, was developed when the Internet
    was a far smaller and friendlier place. It's also -- one report today
    estimated that 80 percent of Hotmail's incoming mail was spam -- hardly
    bringing us towards that clean-inbox goal. My cnet.com email address is
    just a few weeks old, but I'm getting as much spam sent to it as legitimate
    mail.

    One obvious minor solution is not to reply to spammers and send mail only
    to the abuse@ address. But in my experience, copying both addresses works
    better: Some abuse admins aren't quick to respond, while spammers seem to
    be more willing to delete you from their lists if they know they've already
    been reported.

    Back to our benighted resume-spammer. Philip Greenspun, who founded
    photo.net, popularized the idea of a "hall of shame" for some of the Net's
    most anti-social miscreants:
    http://philip.greenspun.com/copyright/hall-of-shame

    I've added Anderson to my own list-of-spammers. I get hundreds of pieces of
    spam a day, true, so it generally would not be worth the bother. But anyone
    who is so doggedly noxious and who successfully manages to disrupt Politech
    delivery -- a first, I believe -- deserves a dishonorable mention! Here's
    the site:
    http://www.mccullagh.org/avoid/david-scott-anderson.html