FC: Is White House plan tantamount to a national ID? Different views...

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 22 2002 - 04:35:36 PDT

    http://news.com.com/2010-1079-945347.html?tag=politech

        Do we need a national ID plan?
        By Declan McCullagh
        July 22, 2002, 4:00 AM PT

        WASHINGTON--Brad Jansen, an analyst at the Free Congress Foundation,
        has long been a dogged opponent of national identification cards.

        In April, Jansen told a Senate panel that a national ID means "a
        massive bureaucracy that would limit our basic freedoms." In the past,
        he and the Free Congress Foundation have teamed with the American
        Civil Liberties Union, forming an ad hoc coalition to oppose federal
        standards for driver's licenses.

        So then why is Jansen applauding a new White House plan--while the
        ACLU is screaming bloody murder?

        [...]

    ---