FC: HP uses DMCA club to thwap computer security researchers

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 19:14:20 PDT

    HP's DMCA nastygram:
    http://www.politechbot.com/docs/hp.dmca.threat.073002.html

    ---

    http://news.com.com/2100-1023-947325.html?tag=politech

        Security warning draws DMCA threat
        By Declan McCullagh
        July 30, 2002, 4:48 PM PT

        WASHINGTON--Hewlett Packard has found a new club to use to pound
        researchers who unearth flaws in the company's software: the Digital
        Millennium Copyright Act.

        Invoking both the controversial 1998 DMCA and computer crime laws, HP
        has threatened to sue a team of researchers who publicized a
        vulnerability in the company's Tru64 Unix operating system.

        In a letter sent on Monday, an HP vice president warned SnoSoft, a
        loosely organized research collective, that it "could be fined up to
        $500,000 and imprisoned for up to five years" for its role in
        publishing information on a bug that lets an intruder take over a
        Tru64 Unix system.

        HP's dramatic warning appears to be the first time the DMCA has been
        invoked to stifle research related to computer security. Until now,
        it's been used by copyright holders to pursue people who distribute
        computer programs that unlock copyrighted content such as DVDs or
        encrypted e-books.

        [...]

    ---