FC: California attorney general is looking for a few noxious spammers

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 22:17:11 PDT

    See related Politech message:

    "Alleged spammer claims California anti-spam law is unconstitutional"

    Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 20:37:50 -0700
    To: declanat_private
    From: dano <danoat_private>
    Subject: Calif AG going after Calif spammers?

    http://caag.state.ca.us/_misc/content/spam.htm

    ---

        SPAM MAIL

        The Attorney General's Office is looking for examples of spam e-mails
        being sent to consumers in violation of California law, particularly
        from persons operating in California.
        While we have valuable leads from spam posted in various newsgroups
        and mailing lists, we would like to obtain certain examples directly
        from individuals who would be prepared to verify, in a written
        statement under oath, information about the spam they received.

          Please send your examples (as attachments, with all header
          information) to:
          caspamat_private
          If you prefer to submit spam samples in printed form, you can
          download and print our complaint form for that purpose, available
          at:
          http://caag.state.ca.us/contact/unsolicited_email.pdf. If you are
          submitting spam on paper, please be sure to include all headers.

        The Attorney General's Office is looking for samples of spam that meet
        all of the following conditions:
         1. You are the recipient of the spam and you are a resident of
            California.
         2. The spam was delivered via servers located in California
            (sender's, recipient's or intermediary server will suffice).
         3. There is some indication that the spammer is operating in
            California, such as a California telephone number or address for
            orders. If you can identify the spammer and have information from
            other sources showing that the spammer is in California, that will
            also work.
         4. The spam fails to comply with the statutory restrictions. To
            comply, the unsolicited advertising emails' subject line must
            begin with "ADV:", the first text in the message must offer a
            toll-free number or functioning email address for removal of the
            recipient from further unsolicited emails, and that statement must
            be in a type size as large as most of the other text.

        [Note: The statute also makes it an offense to fail to honor a request
        for removal included as outlined above, and we would like to get
        evidence of specific instances of that involving California
        residents.]
        To view California law governing spam, see Section 17538.4 of the
        Business & Professions Code.