FC: Snosoft replies to HP's recanting of DMCA nastythreats

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 22:29:57 PDT

    "HP recants: 'We promise not to use DMCA against researchers!'"

    Subject: Formal Response
    From: ATD <simonat_private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>
    Date: 02 Aug 2002 00:40:09 -0400

    Declan,
    	Here you go.  Thanks again for all of your help.

    Sincerely,
    	Adriel T Desautels
    	Founder, Secure Network Operations, Inc.
    	978-897-0974

    ---

    Formal Response to HP DMCA retraction:

    8/1/02: Secure Network Operations appreciates HP's retraction of their DMCA
    threats. We are dedicated to performing security research on a wide range
    of operating systems, following either an independent research/full
    disclosure model or a contract- based/NDA model. We hope to build
    productive relationships with many vendors in the future.

    Formal Response to HP DMCA threat:

    7/31/02: Secure Network Operations, also known as SNOsoft, has been
    researching security vulnerabilities on Hewlett Packard's Tru64 UNIX
    operating system for over four months, and has found numerous
    vulnerabilities in the software.

    Due to the sensitive nature of these discoveries and the known critical
    uses of Tru64 in healthcare, military, and other arenas, SNOsoft
    attempted on multiple occasions to build a working relationship with HP
    so the information could be transferred privately. However, our
    well-intentioned efforts were misperceived by HP, as they responded to
    SNOsoft with a letter in which they accused us of attempted extortion.

    Hewlett Packard then requested that we follow current industry standard
    practices for releasing vulnerability information through a trusted
    third party, in this case CERT, and to wait forty-five days before
    releasing any proof-of-concept exploit code. There was an unauthorized
    release by Phased, prior to the end of the waiting period, and HP
    promptly responded with another letter. This time they cited possible
    violation of the DMCA law, amongst others, and requested that the
    exploit code, be quickly removed from SecurityFocus's website.
    SNOsoft willingly complied, and the posting was removed.

    That letter found its way into the hands of Declan McCullagh, a
    journalist for news.com with an interest in the DMCA law, who interviewed
    the founders of SNOsoft regarding HP's reference to the DMCA law.
    SNOsoft's position in these matters is to continue serving the community
    by finding and reporting security vulnerabilities in a broad spectrum
    of operating systems, software applications, and other hardware and
    software systems. Our mission is to provide certification for vendors and
    network administrators that indicate their systems have passed the most
    rigorous security testing available.

    Sincerely,
             Secure Network Operations, Inc.