FC: FCC levies $5.4 million junk fax fine -- but will it stick?

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 10:18:34 PDT

    Earlier on Politech we saw a federal district court rule in a case
    involving fax.com:

       "Federal court rules ban on 'junk faxes' violates First Amendment"
       http://www.politechbot.com/p-03394.html

    I don't know what the status of this case is (has an appeals court gone the
    other way?), but it seems possible that the FCC's "junk fax" fine will also
    be tossed out.

    This has implications for federal anti-spam legislation. If the "junk fax"
    law can't stand, how could an anti-spam law?

    Below from FCC:

    The following is (1) a news release being issued this morning on an FCC
    enforcement action, and (2) a statement on the case by Commissioner Abernathy

    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                      NEWS MEDIA CONTACT
    August 7, 2002  :                                   John Winston, (202)
    418-7450
    jwinstonat_private

    FCC PROPOSES $5,379,000 FINE AGAINST FAX.COM, INC.
    FOR VIOLATING "JUNK FAX" PROHIBITION

    Washington, D.C. - Today the Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
    proposed to fine Fax.com, Inc. $5,379,000 for sending unsolicited
    advertisements, commonly known as "junk faxes," in violation of the
    Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) and Commission rules. Today's
    action represents the largest fine ever proposed by the Commission for
    violations of the TCPA and marks the first forfeiture action by the FCC
    against a fax broadcaster.

    The Commission determined that Fax.com, which operates as a "Fax
    Broadcaster" faxing messages on behalf of others for a fee, apparently
    violated the TCPA and the Commission's rules on 489 separate
    occasions.  Moreover, the Commission found that Fax.com appears to have
    engaged in a pattern of deception to conceal its involvement in sending the
    prohibited faxes, and that the company has not been forthcoming in its
    dealings with the agency.

    In view of the "pervasive and egregious pattern of deception" underlying
    the apparent violations and the gravity of Fax.com's conduct, the
    Commission concluded that Fax.com is apparently liable for the maximum fine
    of $11,000 for each of the 489 fax violations, for a total proposed fine of
    $5,379,000.

    In related actions, the Commission staff is issuing over 100 citations and
    letters of inquiry to businesses that used Fax.com to send their
    advertisements to telephone facsimile machines. The citations warn the
    businesses that they may face fines of up to $11,000 per violation if they
    continue to send unsolicited fax
    advertisements.
    Action by the Commission on August 2, 2002 by Notice of Apparent
    Liability,           (FCC 02-226). Chairman Powell; Commissioners Abernathy
    (issuing a separate statement), Copps and Martin.

    File No. EB-02-TC-120

    Enforcement Bureau contacts: John Winston at (202) 418-7450, and Colleen
    Heitkamp at (202) 418-7320.

    SEPARATE STATEMENT OF COMMISSIONER KATHLEEN Q. ABERNATHY

    Re:  Fax.com Apparent Liability for Forfeiture, File No.
    EB-02-TC-120  (released August 7, 2002).

    I strongly support this Notice of Apparent Liability and hope that other
    fax broadcasters will take notice that the Commission will strictly enforce
    the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.  As set forth in detail in the NAL,
    Fax.com appears to have founded its business on the practice of sending
    unsolicited faxes in flagrant violation of the TCPA.  The record also
    suggests that Fax.com deliberately misled consumers regarding the company's
    requirements and consumers' rights under the TCPA.  Despite repeated
    warnings from the Commission and numerous consumer complaints, the company
    appears to have made no effort to mend its ways.  As a result, many
    consumers have been harassed in their homes and had their businesses
    disrupted by unwanted fax solicitations ? and, adding insult to injury,
    were forced to pay for this privilege.

    This NAL makes clear that the Commission will not tolerate such conduct;
    indeed, we propose to punish Fax.com to the maximum extent of our statutory
    authority.  When I became a Commissioner, I pledged to protect consumers by
    stringently enforcing the Communications Act and the Commission's rules.  I
    am proud that the Commission is taking this responsibility seriously and
    sending such a strong signal that companies cannot violate the law with
    impunity.