FC: Spam, junk faxes & free speech -- Politech members reply

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 17:27:30 PDT

    Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 14:47:35 -0400
    From: "Michael Carroll" <Carrollat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>
    Subject: Re: FC: FCC levies $5.4 million junk fax fine -- but will it stick?

    Hi Declan,

          You're right to point out the connection between the law supporting
    the junk fax fine and proposed spam legislation.   The Ninth Circuit Court
    of Appeals found the the ban on "junk faxes" to be constitutional back in
    1995.  My law review article on the constitutionality of spam regulation,
    which discusses the junk fax ban as well, is at
    <http://www.law.berkeley.edu/journals/btlj/articles/11_2/Carroll/html/text.html>http://www.law.berkeley.edu/journals/btlj/articles/11_2/Carroll/html/text.html

    Best,

    Michael W. Carroll
    Assistant Professor of Law
    Villanova University School of Law
    299 N. Spring Mill Road
    Villanova, PA  19085
    (610) 519-7088
    (610) 519 5672 (fax)
    <mailto:carrollat_private>carrollat_private

    ---