FC: More on FBI advisory on 802.11-spotting "wardriving"

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 13 2002 - 22:00:01 PDT

    I heard back from the FBI's Bill Shore, who wrote the advisory
    (http://www.politechbot.com/p-03884.html). He said that "Theft of services
    is not a federal violation per se. Check my comments a little more
    closely." Perhaps he means that it could be a violation of state law? (A
    quick skim of state laws shows that they often use language like accessing
    a resource to which you're not "entitled.")

    See also Pennsylvania criminal law
    (http://members.aol.com/StatutesP7/18PA910.html). A quick read suggests
    that it bans the possession of a "telecommunication device" that can
    receive or transmit in any manner, including on a wireless network,
    "without the consent of the telecommunication service provider." Any
    criminal lawyers want to think this through? (The definition includes
    computer software, BTW.)

    Bill also said that his message forwarded to Politech was "just a release I
    made to the Pittsburgh InfraGard Chapter, so it is not really an FBI
    Warning, advisory, or anything like that from NIPC. I just thought it would
    be relevant and interesting to our local chapter."

    Also, from a few weeks ago:

    "Notes on federal indictment for 'war dialing' offense"