FC: Entertainment lobbyists have new opponent: Verizon and Baby Bells

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 27 2002 - 12:58:40 PDT

    http://news.com.com/2008-1082-955417.html?tag=politech

       Why telecoms back the pirate cause
       By Declan McCullagh
       August 27, 2002, 12:00 PM PT

       ASPEN, Colorado--The copyright wars on Capitol Hill have
       begun to drift into the political equivalent of trench warfare, with
       Hollywood and the music industry pitted against hardware makers,
       electronics manufacturers, and ragtag activists at nonprofit groups.

       Now consumers have a powerful new ally. Verizon and other
       telecommunications giants have ordered their phalanx of lobbyists to
       oppose the entertainment industry's demands for new copyright laws.
       The company is also fighting the Recording Industry Association of
       America's request for information about a subscriber.

       So at the center of the copyright scrum, you'll find Sarah Deutsch.
       The 41-year-old Deutsch, a vice president and associate general
       counsel at Verizon, represented her employer during the negotiations
       over the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) copyright
       treaties and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). These days,
       she is marshaling the opposition to proposals in Congress that would
       permit attacks on peer-to-peer networks, boost technology used for
       digital rights management, and grant more power to copyright holders.

       CNET News.com sat down with Deutsch, who was recently in town for a
       Progress and Freedom Foundation conference, to talk about this looming
       confrontation over digital copyright law.

       Q: The Recording Industry Association of America wants you to reveal
       the name of a subscriber who's an alleged peer-to-peer pirate, but
       you're saying they're not following the appropriate legal procedure.
       What's the dispute?
       A: Verizon looked carefully at the subpoena. This is different from
       anything they had sent us in the past. (Those) always applied to
       material residing on our system or network (instead of a peer-to-peer
       node). It created a very difficult policy issue for us. We understand
       that RIAA has a problem and needs this information. At the same time,
       we have an equally legitimate concern that they comply with the proper
       legal process. We believe this is a very important case of first
       impression and should not be rushed.

       [...]