FC: The ethics of hacktivism, from Shift.com's Mark Moyes

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 27 2002 - 22:48:47 PDT

    Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 12:33:11 -0400
    Subject: the ethics of hacktivism
    To: declanat_private
    From: "Mark Moyes" <markat_private>

    Hi Declan -

    Been a silent reader of politech for a while, and thought you and your
    readers might be interested in an interview we've just published on
    Shift.com. I talked to Oxblood Ruffin (Cult of the Dead Cow and founder of
    Hacktivismo) about the ethics of bringing democratic free-speech tools
    into countries with undemocratic regimes (in China or the United Arab
    Emirates, say): Among other things, I asked him if he's concerned about
    people being imprisoned or worse for using Six/Four or Camera/Shy; we
    talked about the big U.S. IT companies who are helping these countries
    out, and discussed the possibility of military hacks from China and
    others. In a nutshell, the interview focusses on the question of
    responsibility: If private hacker groups don't consider themselves
    political, but are fighting a political battle on an international scale,
    are they accountable for the outcome?

    Here's the url: http://www.shift.com/content/web/396/1.html

    Thanks!
    -mark.