FC: Did Yahoo pull the plug on an Oakland peace activist group?

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 21:54:58 PDT

    A few thoughts:

    1. It is highly unlikely -- to the point of being an absurd allegation to
    make -- that Yahoo Groups is "censoring" a peace group because of its stand
    on international politics. Yahoo currently lists 899 groups in the "peace"
    category of Yahoo Groups; certainly no purge has taken place:
    2. It is far more likely that LMNOP has been accused of spamming, there's a
    misunderstanding, or something is going on that we don't know about.
    3. I don't believe "censorship" is the best word to use here. I generally
    use the word to describe what governments do; this is at best a contractual
    dispute over a terms of service agreement.
    4. It would be helpful for Yahoo to clarify.
    5. I'd never trust a free email service with important mail. Better to get
    a shell account or POP account and pay for it; you'll be taken more
    seriously if you have a problem.