FC: Feds should be able to spy on non-U.S. citizens, CIA says

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 21:48:50 PDT

    An excerpt from my article from last week... Lago is talking about USA
    Patriot and so on in his "went crazy" reference.

    Also see Sen. DeWine's related bill (it's so extreme that even the Justice
    Department has criticized it, albeit mildly):
    http://news.com.com/2010-1071-948283.html?tag=politech

    http://news.com.com/2100-1001-956827.html

        [...]

        "Civil libertarians just went crazy," said Philip Lago, deputy
        executive secretary at the CIA.

        Because the CIA's records are classified, "I can't share with you the
        successes, and there have been literally hundreds of them," Lago said
        at the conference.

        Lago said that while the intelligence community is sensitive to
        concerns about overly broad surveillance, laws can complicate
        effective intelligence-gathering. "The National Security Agency is
        working on the Fourth Amendment thing," Lago said. He added that legal
        restrictions against spying on U.S. citizens are not controversial,
        but those same limitations pose a problem when immigrants and tourists
        can benefit from the Fourth Amendment's prohibition on "unreasonable"
        searches.

        "I wish we could make every single member of this country--there goes
        this democracy thing, right?--read those New York Times articles
        (about victims of the World Trade Center) and realize what this is
        about," Lago said.

        [...]