FC: Sept. 11, a year later

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 20:19:39 PDT

     From the Politech archives, one year ago today:

    Terrorists attack World Trade Center and Pentagon
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-02498.html

    Firsthand reports from NYC and Washington DC after attacks
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-02500.html

    Website for attack survivors created; mailing list for DC news
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-02503.html

    SiliconValley.com's compillation of photos, coverage of attack
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-02502.html

    NYC network problems after 9-11, and how providers are responding

    http://www.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml;jsessionid=0QGCYHI5SHQN4CRBAELCFFA?type=politicsnews&StoryID=1428730
    Reuters
        Families of Sept. 11 victims criticized President Bush for
        eroding civil rights in the U.S. war on terror, and said
        they believed airport security was no better than a year
        ago.

    ---

    http://news.com.com/2010-1071-957381.html?tag=fd_nc_1

        Ensuring privacy's post-attack survival
        By Jeffrey Eisenach and Peter Swire
        September 11, 2002, 4:00 AM PT

        The bill to create the new Department of Homeland Security is now
        before the Senate. The new Department, once created, will enhance the
        federal government's ability to collect and use information about
        American citizens--or in today's favorite catch phrase, to "connect
        the dots."

        But which dots will be connected, by whom and for what purpose? Here
        is a sample quiz for you to consider:

        o  First, imagine a program in which the federal government trains
        mail carriers and utility workers to look for possible terrorist
        activities in the homes and neighborhoods where they work, and report
        to a centralized database. Is this a common sense updating of
        Neighborhood Watch or the creation of an informant society?

        [...]

    ---