FC: Civil lib roundup: Free speech, watch lists, libraries

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 18 2002 - 22:52:01 PDT

    From: "Trei, Peter" <ptreiat_private>
    To: "'declanat_private'" <declanat_private>
    Subject: NYT OpEd calls for censorship.
    Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 13:23:18 -0400

    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/17/opinion/17KRIS.html
    (free registration)

    September 17, 2002

    Recipes for Death

    By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF

         On my desk is a set of self-help books that I've been
    buying at gun shows and on the Internet. If you want to
    kill a few thousand people, these are the books to consult.

    And if we want to reduce the risk of terrorist attacks using
    bio- or chemical weapons, we have a target closer to home
    than Iraq: these books and the presses that publish them.
    If these presses were in Baghdad, the Pentagon would be
    itching to blow them up.

    [...]

    "I do think that there is forbidden knowledge, and for me the
    'cookbooks' fall into that class of information," said
    Dr. Ronald M. Atlas, the president of the American Society
    for Microbiology. "I do not want to see them out there for
    potential use by terrorists."

    [...]

    We rightly complain about weapons proliferation by China and
    Russia. But we also need to confront the consequences of our own
    information proliferation. Our small presses could end up helping
    terrorists much more than Saddam ever has.

    I'm a journalist, steeped in First Amendment absolutism, and
    book-burning  grates on my soul. But then again, so does war.
    As we prepare to go to battle to reduce our vulnerability to
    weapons of mass destruction, it seems appropriate for us in
    addition to consider other distasteful steps that can also make
    us safer.

    [...]

    ---