FC: P2P foes Berman and Coble defend hacking bill

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 11:39:09 PDT

    http://news.com.com/2100-1023-959774.html

       P2P foes defend hacking bill
       By Declan McCullagh
       September 26, 2002, 2:44 PM PT

       WASHINGTON--Supporters of a proposed law that would permit copyright
       holders to assail peer-to-peer networks angrily defended it on
       Thursday, saying it had been mischaracterized by opponents.

       During the first congressional hearing on the bill, Reps. Howard
       Berman, D-Calif., and Howard Coble, R-N.C., denounced critics' "scare
       tactics" and said their proposal was a modest plan that had been
       carefully crafted to reduce piracy on peer-to-peer networks.

       "There have been some truly outrageous attacks," Berman said. "I never
       expected that anyone would challenge the underlying premise of the
       bill, namely that copyrighted owners should be able to use reasonable,
       limited measures to thwart peer-to-peer piracy."

       [...]