FC: WorldTechTribune claims I want new federal "cybersecurity" laws

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 12:47:56 PDT

    An excerpt from an article that appeared on the worldtechtribune.com site:

    http://www.worldtechtribune.com/worldtechtribune/asparticles/buzz/bz09232002.asp
        So why did McCullagh quote nothing but activists critical of the Bush
        Administrations policy of taking a hands-off approach to cybersecurity
        in his article with Robert Lemos for News.com?  Why would journalists
        who so value Internet privacy and consider the government to be too
        intrusive suddenly complain that the government should be spending
        millions of taxpayer dollars and enacting legislation that forces
        companies and individuals to conform to government-mandated security
        controls?

    My reply to the article's author follows. (I neglected to mention that
    their commentary appears to be mistaken on the source of the August draft,
    see http://www.politechbot.com/p-03994.html).