FC: More on FDA permitting use of implantable ID chips in humans

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 06:35:44 PDT

    Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 10:49:37 +1000
    From: Nathan Cochrane <ncochraneat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Subject: Re: FC: FDA permits use of implantable ID chips in humans

    Hi Declan

    I think ADS's bald faced lies to you and the members of your list about its
    plans in the past should send off warning flares about its intentions and
    the ethical foundation of its culture. Given concerns recently over
    corporate governance among businesses, ADS needs to answer its critics.

    This is Trustworthy -- or Treacherous -- Computing at its very most intimate.

    But I wonder what role the FDA has -- an implantable chip for e-commerce
    applications is not a food, drug or medical prosthetic as far as I can see?

    As I said back in February, "What's the betting ADS will have its path
    smoothed by a paranoid Administration?"

    With any decision as controversial and of such profound significance as
    this, it is beholden on a federal government department in a liberal,
    transparent and open democracy to release the full details of its
    deliberations, including any conversations of both a formal and informal
    nature. That includes intragovernmental and interdepartmental transactions.
    There can be no confidence in the decision until this is done and scrutinised.

    But it further begs the question I also asked back then of "How much longer
    before implants are mandatory by law for all American citizens, and those
    in the rest of the world?"

    Denials @ http://www.politechbot.com/p-03135.html
    "We appreciate the opportunity to issue a statement about Digital Angel to
    your readers.  We have studied the marketplace for emergency location and
    medical monitoring devices and we're convinced there is a huge potential
    market need for a wearable, external device.  That is our sole focus.  Let
    there be no mistake or confusion about this.  Digital Angel is being
    developed as a wearable, wristwatch-type device that will, among other
    things, help save lives by locating lost or missing children or at-risk
    patients who may require emergency medical attention.  We are not now
    developing, nor do we have any plans to develop, anything other than an
    external, wearable device."

    Nathan Cochrane
    Deputy IT Editor
    :Next: