FC: Attack on Internet root servers flops; CNBC tonight

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 18:19:42 PDT

    [Earlier today I taped CNBC's Capital Report, which will air at 9 pm
    ET and 12 midnight ET tonight. It's hosted by Alan Murray and Tyler
    Mathisen. We talked about the attacks on the root servers and
    terrorism in general. I'm not sure if I said anything particularly
    cogent, but if for some reason you want to tune in, details are here:
    http://www.cnbcmarketplace.com/cnbc/prog_capital_report.html --Declan]

    ---

    There's also:

    "Large-Scale Attack Cripples Internet Backbone"
    By David McGuire and Brian Krebs
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A2406-2002Oct22.html

    ---

    http://news.com.com/2100-1001-963095.html

       Net attack flops, but threat persists
       By Robert Lemos
       Staff Writer, CNET News.com
       October 23, 2002, 1:10 PM PT

       A widespread but unsophisticated attack on the computers
       that act as the address books for the Internet failed to cause any
       major problems, but experts warn that more security is necessary.

       Beginning Monday, a flood of data barraged the Internet's 13
       domain-name service (DNS) root servers in what's known as a
       denial-of-service attack. But the simple nature of the attack, and the
       system's resiliency, allowed administrators to quickly block the data
       stream.

       According to security experts, a more sophisticated attack could have
       disrupted the root servers long enough to impair Net access. Had the
       attack prevented access to the servers for eight to 10 hours, the
       average computer user may have noticed slower response times, said
       Craig Labovitz, director of network security firm Arbor Networks.

       [...]