FC: Are journalists too eager to side with privacy over free speech?

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 10:30:19 PST

    [From the Poynter.org group weblog... Privacy, at least some aspects of it,
    is in tension with free speech. After all, privacy can mean "you are
    prohibited from saying something about me" while the right to free speech
    tugs in precisely the opposite direction. Journalists in particular should
    be cautious about siding with the former at the expense of the latter.
    --Declan]

    ---

         Rich Gordon (http://www.poynter.org/tidbits/whoarewetidbits.htm#outing)
         on privacy and public records

         Business Week has an article
         (http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2002/tc20021029_1516.htm)
         about the debate over whether public records should be made available
         via the Internet. It's not a bad article, overall, but an impartial
         reader would probably conclude from reading it that there are many
         kinds of public information that shouldn't be posted to the Web. For
         instance, the article mentions property assessment information and
         asks, "How does [posting it online] serve the public good?" Well,
         here's one reason: It allows me — without trekking to the courthouse —
         to compare my assessment to that of my neighbors, to make sure I'm
         being taxed equitably. The article also brings up the infamous case of
         Rebecca Schaeffer, the actress who was murdered by a stalker who
         tracked her down through state driver's license records. That slaying
         spurred Congress to require states to block public access
         (http://www.rcfp.org/news/mag/v.cgi?24-1/foi-congress) to driver's
         license records — eliminating a tool that reporters have often found
         useful to track down a source. The irony, unmentioned in the Business
         Week article, is that Schaeffer's killer got her address through a
         private investigator — and private investigators continue to have
         access (http://www.rcfp.org/news/1999/1115renovc.html) to license
         records under the federal law.

         This article is, I'm afraid, all too typical. Frequently, coverage of
         privacy issues in the mainstream press seems to take the side of the
         privacy advocates — even when the cause of privacy is directly at odds
         with the ability of journalists to do their jobs. (And, I'd argue, with
         the role of the press in a democratic society.) I'm not arguing that
         journalists should become advocates in their coverage of privacy issues
         — but I think we can do a better job of making sure that the case for
         availability of public records online gets a fair representation in our
         coverage.