FC: Military worried about web leaks; on CNBC tonight

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 17 2003 - 16:59:01 PST

    I'll be on CNBC's "Capital Report" today talking about this dread menace of
    cyberterror and .mil sites. I tangled briefly with Mike Vatis, former head
    of the FBI's National Infrastructure Protection Center. He talked about the
    need for security; alas, I didn't have time to point out that the FBI under
    Freeh did its best to prevent it. If you're so inclined, Capital Report
    airs at 9 pm ET/6 pm PT today and again at midnight ET/9 pm PT:
    http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/CNBCTV/TV_Info/P10094.asp

    See also:
    "U.S. spooks fret about Iraq hax0ring .gov and .mil computers"

    http://news.com.com/2100-1023-981057.html

        Military worried about Web leaks
        By Declan McCullagh
        January 16, 2003, 3:58 PM PT

        WASHINGTON--The U.S. Defense Department is worried that sensitive
        information remains exposed on its Web sites.

        Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld warned in a directive sent to
        military units this week that too much unclassified but worrisome
        material was popping up on the Web, and said Al Qaeda and other foes
        were sure to take advantage of it.

        The directive, drafted as the U.S. is readying troops for a possible
        attack on Iraq, reminded military Webmasters they must adhere to the
        department's 1998 policies and procedures.

        [...]