FC: Weekly column: Sen. Joseph Lieberman, spammer-in-chief?

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 18:06:11 PST

    http://news.com.com/2010-1071-981258.html

       Perspective: Hail to the...spammer-in-chief?
       By Declan McCullagh
       January 20, 2003, 4:00 AM PT

       WASHINGTON--Sen. Joseph Lieberman hopes to become the first Democratic
       president from Connecticut, the first Jewish president, and the first
       senator to win the White House since John F. Kennedy.

       Good for him. Our problem is that Lieberman also is itching to be our
       spammer-in-chief.

       It's no joke. Within hours of announcing his plans to seek the
       Democratic nomination for the job last week, Lieberman started
       spamming around a message titled: "Beginning an Amazing Journey." It
       said: "I have the strength, vision, and values to lead our nation to
       higher ground."

       To broadcast this momentous news, Lieberman used an outfit called
       Roving Software of Waltham, Mass., which sells a bulk-mail service
       called ConstantContact. Bulk mailers pay from $10 to about $2,000 a
       month for the service. Roving claims to occupy a market niche
       reminiscent of the dot-com boom, describing itself as a "pre-IPO,
       venture-backed" start-up boasting revenue growth of "more than 40
       percent per quarter in 2002."

       There's a lot of bulk e-mail, which Roving says is not spam but
       "permission-based marketing." Roving does require ConstantContact
       users to let e-mail recipients "remove themselves from your mailing
       list," but its terms of service agreement does not require that
       addresses on the list be confirmed "opt-in" in the first place. In
       other words: Roving may heed your removal request, but its
       customers don't need your permission to clog your in-box in the first
       place.

    [ remainder snipped, viewable at http://news.com.com/2010-1071-981258.html ]