FC: More on police carcam that recorded cop brutality, dog-killing

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 00:09:46 PST

    [Catching up on old Politech threads and back email this evening...
    Previous Politech message: http://www.politechbot.com/p-04303.html --Declan]

    ---

    Subject: RE: Police surveillance cam works: Shows cop brutality, dog-killing
    Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 22:59:37 -0600
    From: "Harvey Silverglate" <hasat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>

    This story, which does not surprise me, proves the sanity of my
    long-standing proposal for reducing police abuse: Establish a system
    whereby 40% or so of the members of a police force are civilians trained
    to do the job but whose tenure is only 5 years. Not being "lifers,"
    these folks would maintain a "civilian mentality" and would serve to
    "civilianize" the police force. Had there been, for example, a
    substantial number of such civilian cops in the precinct the night Abner
    Luima was pulled in, he would never have been brutalized, because the
    civilians would have been a virtual "Fifth Column" and blown the whistle
    -- no "blue wall of silence." It's the reason we'd be safer with a draft
    military rather than an all-professional volunteer force of lifers.

    				Declan

    Harvey A. Silverglate
    Silverglate & Good
    83 Atlantic Avenue