FC: Lewiston, Maine decides to repeal the First Amendment

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 00:02:01 PST

    The below link no longer works, but here's one on that's relevant:

    http://www.centralmaine.com/news/stories/030110lewiston.shtml
    >Police in Lewiston said many streets surrounding Bates College and the
    >National Guard armory will be closed to traffic for security reasons on
    >Saturday. Random searches are promised at both rallies and police say they
    >will not allow weapons, cameras or recording equipment, backpacks or bags,
    >picket signs or face masks.

    Cases like these often are the most vexing. Yes, perhaps the ACLU can sue
    and get attorney's fees. But that may not have enough of a deterrent effect
    -- the politicians and police who are involved in these unlawful activities
    don't pay the price themselves. We need a better way to decrease their
    incentives to do the wrong thing.