FC: Will Larry Lessig's proposed anti-spam law make spam... worse?

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 07:49:52 PST

    "Larry Lessig bets his job on spam law -- with me as judge?"

    From: "Jim Harper" <jim.harperat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>
    Subject: RE: Larry Lessig bets his job on spam law -- with me as judge?
    Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 11:44:06 -0500

    Lessig's bet is nearly risk-free.  "ADV:" legislation is very unlikely.
    More importantly, though, it's ham-handed.

    Along with reducing spam, why not rate spam law on whether it preserves free
    speech rights?  If you're not sympathetic to free speech, how about how well
    a spam law protects communications that consumers want and need (some of
    which are ADV:'s)?  Has Lessig considered whether his proposal thwarts small
    business participation and competition in the online medium by creating
    disproportionate litigation risk?

    If there's going to be good spam law - not a foregone conclusion - it will
    come from considering all the interests at stake.

    Jim

    Jim Harper
    PolicyCounsel.Com

    ---