FC: Query from Dan Tynan: Why could anti-spam laws hurt free speech?

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 09:05:59 PST

    From: "dan tynan" <danat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>
    Subject: Re: Will Larry Lessig's proposed anti-spam law make spam... worse?
    Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:45:26 -0500

    declan:

    I just read this thread and I have a favor to ask of you. I've spent much of
    the past year researching and writing articles about spam (for cnet and
    pcworld, primarily) but I do not for the life of me understand the
    "anti-spam laws impede free speech" argument. spam is advertising, pure and
    simple. just as advertisers don't have an intrinsic right to advertise in a
    magazine or on TV (they have to 1) be able to pay for the space, and 2) meet
    the magazine or tv station's standards for acceptable content), they don't
    have an inherent right to advertise in my inbox. where exactly is the free
    speech violation? could you post my question to your list so one of your
    smart readers can tell me what I'm missing?

    thanks.

    daniel tynan
    contributing editor, pc world
    inside @cess, cnet