FC: Denver city councilman buys up his rivals' .com names

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 23:25:20 PST

    Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 23:26:18 -0700
    To: "Declan McCullagh"<declanat_private>
    From: Charlie Oriez <coriezat_private>
    Subject: Lanham Act and political campaigns
    Cc: k.swearingenat_private

    Declan -

    Back in Feb, 2002, you covered a fight in Texas where the Texas Dems
    registered a parody site criticizing the ties between the Texas Republican
    Party and Enron, and the attempt of the Republicans to get the site taken
    down or modified on Lanham act grounds.  The Dems ultimately won since the
    site was fairly obviously protected parody.

    http://www.politechbot.com/p-03144.html

    A candidate in Colorado has taken a different tact, registering likely
    domain names of his opponents with the sole intent of preventing their
    use.  He's stated his intention to keep the sites blank and merely deny
    there use to the opponents whose names are in the domain names.

    The Anti Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act of 1999 (signed by Clinton
    in November of that year) expanded the Lanham Act to cover bad faith
    registrations of domain names so as to intentionally deny their use to
    trademark owners or owners of personal names.

    Story here:
    http://rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_1650692,00.html

    The wiggle room is the language of the act that says that the squatter has
    to intend to profit from the act.  My tendency is to interpret that as the
    cybersquatter is intending to sell back the domain to the rightful
    owners.  However, since the person who wins this election gets paid for the
    position at risk, at least one political operative raised the possibility
    that the post election payments might be sufficient to trigger Lanham.

    Penalties are $100,000 per violation.

     From the political perspective, if I were an opponent, I would spend the
    spring accusing the candidate of the Lanham Act violations and hammering on
    this action as symptomatic of his lack of ethics.  The candidates are
    running for City Auditor, and the voters at least would want the person
    holding this office to be purer than Ceaser's wife.

    News reporter: sanchezr@rockymountain news.com or (303) 892-2231

    I've been unable to reach any of the candidates though I've taken the
    liberty of cc'ing the admin contact for Debbie Ortega, one of the victims
    of the Lanham violations, on this note.

    I also alerted the reporter to my perceptions of the Lanham act's involvement.

    Charles Oriez   coriezat_private
    39  34' 34.4"N / 105 00' 06.3"W
    **
    The internet views censorship as damage and routes around it
        -- attributed to John Gilmore
    Opt out of QWEST sharing marketing data on you http://www.qwest.com/cpni/