FC: Network Solns exposes (whoops!) 85,000+ customer email addresses

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sat Jan 25 2003 - 09:40:26 PST

    Also see David McGuire's article yesterday:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A35318-2003Jan23.html

    ---

    Subject: Network Solutions Gives Out Random Lists of Email Addresses FWD: .ORG
      Domain Name Update
    To: declanat_private
    From: Mark_Alves
    Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 09:01:40 -0500

    Declan,

    I'm the administrative contact for a website registered with Network
    Solutions.

    http://www.networksolutions.com/cgi-bin/whois/whois?STRING=stcharleschurch.org&SearchType=do

    Network Solutions sent me the attached email with a long list of email
    addresses unrelated to any business I do with them. How many spammers do
    you think received a similar goldmine of addresses? And how many people did
    they send my address to?

    I'm sharing this with you since I suspect this isn't an isolated incident;
    this is one more source if you need it.

    [Please keep my email address private, as well as those listed below.]

    -Mark D. Alves

    ----- Forwarded by Mark Alves/MSP/HQ/FHLMC on 01/23/2003 08:47 AM -----

                         "Network Solutions,
    Inc."

                         <customernotification@networksolu       To:     WEBTEAM
                         tions.com>                              cc:

                                                                 Subject:
    .ORG Domain Name Update
                         01/23/2003 06:24
    AM