FC: Harvey Silverglate's proposal for civilians in police ranks

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sat Jan 25 2003 - 09:33:30 PST

    "More on police carcam that recorded cop brutality, dog-killing"

    Subject: civilians in the police force - Silverglate's conscription suggestion
    Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 12:16:02 -0600
    From: "Harvey Silverglate" <hasat_private>
    To: "McCullagh Declan (McCullagh, Declan)" <declanat_private>

    Declan,
    	One of your readers asked me more about my idea that civilians
    should join the police force for limited stints of duty, and so I
    elaborated with the story that made me think along these lines. The
    story is below.
    			Harvey

    Harvey A. Silverglate
    Silverglate & Good
    83 Atlantic Avenue
    Boston, MA 02110
    Ofc. tel. 617/523-5933
    Ofc. fax 617/523-7554
    Res. tel. 617/661-9156
    Res. fax 617/492-4925
    hasat_private
    www.silverglategood.com

    The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education
    hasat_private
    www.thefire.org

    The Shadow University
    www.ShadowUniv.com

    -------------------------------------
    	I have been promoting this idea for some two decades, without
    noticeable impact. However, there have been some experiences that are
    informative. For example, some police departments have allowed law
    students to ride along with police. The students observed some things
    that were unpleasant, but one had the sense that the police were fairly
    restrained because the students were along for the ride. I believe some
    years ago Harvard Law students were allowed to ride with Cambridge
    police, for example. I believe it was reported in either the Harvard
    Crimson or the Harvard Law Record.
    	There was one academic in New York who championed my proposal,
    but I forget his name.
    	I came up with my proposal as a result of a Navy court martial I
    handled some years ago, during the Vietnam War. Here's the story which
    is very very instructive.

    	My client was James Darwin Autry. (This is public information.
    The case is reported in a Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
    opinion, Autry v Wiley.) Admiral Wiley was admiral of the First Naval
    District, headquartered in Boston. He preferred court martial charges
    against my client, Autry, who had allegedly jumped ship in Halifax and
    deserted, rather than go to Vietnam. Autry was seized (allegedly
    pursuant to powers granted by the U.S./Canadian Status of Forces
    Agreement -- I deemed it a kidnapping) by Naval officials in Canada and
    dragged back to the USA to stand court-martial for desertion. I handled
    the court martial for the defense, along with a young lawyer who was in
    the Judge Advocate General's Corp (JAGC). The young JAG officer had
    graduated law school. He went to law school on a partial Navy
    scholarship, with the understanding that he would, upon graduation,
    serve a minimum 4 years in the military justice system before going on
    with his civilian law career. The scholarship program was the Navy's way
    of attracting lawyers to serve limited stints in its legal corps. There
    was a similar program for attracting medical doctors. (I believe it was
    called "the Berry Plan.")

    	I subpoenaed Admiral Wiley as a witness to the defense's
    allegation that he had unduly sought to influence the court-martial jury
    (a so-called "command influence" allegation). My military JAG co-counsel
    served the subpoena on the Admiral. Admiral Wiley testified, but he was
    so angry that he seemed to be about to jump out of his chair and
    throttle me as I questioned him.

    	At the end of the day, I was in the elevator on my way out of
    the naval building. I was squeezed in the rear of the elevator, not
    visible to those entering the elevator. (I am only 5' 7 1/2" tall, and I
    was surrounded by a sea of naval officers' hats.) Admiral Wiley walked
    into the elevator with an aide. He was complaining loudly to the aide
    about the indignity of being subpoenaed and forced to testify: "I don't
    so much mind the role played by the civilian lawyer," Wiley complained.
    "But I cannot believe that one of my own men, the JAG officer, had the
    audacity to participate in calling me as a witness. That's the problem
    with these JAG officers. They are in the Navy only because they have to
    be, and only for four years. They are not really one of us. They are not
    all-Navy. They are civilians. Having them in the Navy is like having a
    Fifth Column. You can't do or say anything without having them blow the
    whistle."

    	Fifth column, indeed! It became clear to me in an instant that
    having civilians sprinkled among the professional sailors and solders is
    actually a very healthy idea for a democracy. If civilians can be
    induced to join the military for short (here, 4 years) stints by such
    incentives as scholarships in exchange for some term of service, great.
    If it takes a draft, that's OK too. (After all, we force citizens to
    participate in the jury system without thinking it violates the
    Constitutional proscription against involuntary servitude!) And if it
    works for the military, it should work for police departments, which are
    quite military in their organization and outlook. I immediately became
    in favor of the idea of a program to entice civilians to do anywhere
    from 2 to 4 years in the police department in exchange for something --
    money, scholarship, whatever. It would educate citizens as to police
    work, and it would civilianize the police.

    	You might contact some organization, such as the Police
    Foundation, to see if there is any such program anywhere.

    	I hope this is helpful.

    						Harvey Silverglate

    	I wrote the above in response to the following query from one of