FC: ACT's Jonathan Zuck: What's wrong with U.S. backing closed source?

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 22:47:59 PST

    Forwarded with permission. I believe Jonathan's group is generally allied
    with these folks on this issue:
    http://news.com.com/2100-1001-975578.html

    Subject: OSS, Bush, Asia
    Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:00:14 -0500
    From: "Jonathan Zuck" <jzuckat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>

    Hey, since when is objecting to language of support the same as opposed?
    What the hell is wrong with wanting to support your domestic software
    industry EVEN including Microsoft and tens of thousands others. It s not
    like all of other proprietary software firms are big fans of OSS mandates
    in governments here and abroad.  We need to make a decision as a society if
    we are truly out to destroy the software industry and are prepared for the
    consequences. Who s going to put food on the table of the OSS developer if
    not the commercial software companies that employ them?