FC: Call for help: Avert a voting disaster in Santa Clara!

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 07 2003 - 21:10:54 PST

    Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 18:47:26 -0800
    Subject: We need your help!!!
    From: Barbara Simons <simonsat_private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>
    CC: "David L. Dill" <dillat_private>,
        "Peter G. Neumann" <neumannat_private>,
        "L. Peter Deutsch" <ghostat_private>, Rebecca Mercuri <mercuriat_private>,
        <kimalexat_private>, Deirdre Mulligan <dmulliganat_private>

    Dear Declan,

    Stanford prof Dave Dill has been doing a yeoman's job in trying to prevent
    Santa Clara County, which is the heart of Silicon Valley, from purchasing
    computerized voting machines that have NO voter verifiable ballots.  These
    touch screen machines store the votes in memory and then, if asked, print
    out the ballots in random order when the voting is complete.  I don't have
    to tell you about the possibilities of malfeasance, election theft, or even
    just incorrect software that can result in incorrect election results.

    The machines are being purchased all over the country. The state of Georgia
    just installed them, and already there are questions about the most recent
    election there.

    If we can't stop this madness in Silicon Valley, I don't know where we can
    stop it.  We need for the Santa Clara Supervisors to hear from hundreds of
    concerned residents.

    This issue is also relevant to readers of your columns who don't live in
    Santa Clara County.  As I said, this is happening all over the country,
    frequently with little to no press coverage.  So, by the time that we learn
    that machines are being purchased, we frequently are confronted with a done
    deal.  Fortunately, that's not the case in Santa Clara County, though we are
    uncomfortably close to having a contract signed.

    Our hope is that we can initiate a national movement, both by raising the
    alarm and by sharing our experiences with folks living elsewhere who share
    our concerns.

    Please help us by posting Dave's call to action. I've included a copy below.

    Many thanks.
    Barbara

    P.S.  The other people whose names are included on this email have all been
    involved with this effort.  As you know, Rebecca Mercuri has been warning
    about these machines for years.  David's comment, which which I agree, is
    that we never dreamed that we'd be confronted with them here.  How wrong we
    were.

    ========================PLEASE CIRCULATE==========================

    If you are a resident of Santa Clara County (or know some)
    this is a plea for help.

    There are similar decision being made all over the country.
    You may want to start a similar effort in your area.
    If so, please let me know what's happening, and I'll try
    to help.

    See
    http://verify.stanford.edu/evote.html
    for more information.

    ------------------

    HELP AVERT A VOTING SYSTEM DISASTER IN SANTA CLARA COUNTY

    Now is the time for residents of Santa Clara County get a TRUSTWORTHY
    computerized voting system.

    The county is poised to spend $20 million in public funds on
    computerized voting systems that produce no paper ballots!  The only
    record of your vote will be in the computer memory, and you won't be
    able to see whether it was recorded properly.  This will be a huge
    mistake, which will put the county's election process jeopardy of
    error and fraud.

    Silicon Valley technologists are urging Santa Clara voters to contact
    the county supervisors to insist that they get machines that can
    produce a written record that the voter can check before casting.
    These paper ballots must be anonymous, and must be kept by the
    election officials (not the voters), in case a recount is needed.

    It is practically impossible to ensure the security of voting machine
    software, especially since voting machines have to LOSE information
    intentionally (specifically, the identity of the voter).  Moreover,
    the current standards and processes for certifying and testing these
    machines are completely inadequate compared with other critical
    software systems.

    If you don't speak out, the county is going to buy these machines!  The
    county staff have studied the issue for months and recommended a
    particular vendor.  At least one supervisor has said he wants to go
    ahead immediately!  The County is under a court deadline to replace the
    current punchcard system.

    If enough of us speak out, Santa Clara County can solve this problem
    by getting touch screen machines that also print ballots, or optical
    scan ballots.  Santa Clara County can be a model for the rest of the
    country, as Silicon Valley SHOULD be in matters of technology.

    WHAT CAN YOU DO:

    The county government needs to know that this issue CANNOT BE IGNORED.
    A one or two-sentence email emphasizing importance of the issue to the
    following people could make the difference.  It may help to include
    your home address so they know you are a county resident.

    Assistant County executive: Pete.Kutrasat_private-clara.ca.us
    (He is the staff member recommending the voting machine purchase.)

    Supervisor Liz Kniss:  liz.knissat_private-clara.ca.us
    Supervisor James T. Beall, Jr.:  jim.beallat_private-clara.ca.us
    Supervisor Donald F. Gage:  don.gageat_private-clara.ca.us
    Supervisor Blanca Alvarado:  blanca.alvaradoat_private-clara.ca.us
    Supervisor Pete McHugh:  primo.mchughat_private

    (If you want to send email only to the supervisor representing
    your district, please check
    http://www.sccgov.org/rov/polling_form/0,5455,,00.html?action=district
    )

    Cc us (if you're willing) so we can see what you sent:
    elections-gat_private

    Help get the word out:  please forward this to people
    in Santa Clara County who might be interested and haven't seen it yet
    (but please don't spam!).

    Finally, it will help if the local papers learn your views.
    The San Jose Mercury News and the Palo Alto Daily are particularly
    important.

    For more information about the need for reliable computerized voting
    systems, read the "Resolution on Electronic Voting", online at
    http://verify.stanford.edu/evote.html.