FC: Who's on the new House "Homeland Security" committee

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 12 2003 - 14:16:59 PST

    [This committee will be involved with many computer security issues and
    $500,000,000 a year (to start) in "homeland security technology" funding,
    if my memory is correct. Worth watching. --Declan]

    ---

    News From . . .
             The Homeland Security Committee
    Christopher Cox, Chairman
    Jim Turner, Ranking Member

    <http://cox.house.gov>

    FOR IMMEDIATE
    RELEASE:

    Chairman Cox Announces Homeland Security Committee Members

    Top-Level Appointments Underscore Importance of Department's Mission

    WASHINGTON, D.C. (Wednesday, February 12, 2003)-Homeland Security Committee
    Chairman Christopher Cox (R-CA) and Ranking Member Jim Turner (D-TX) today
    announced the members of the Homeland Security Committee.  The members were
    appointed by Speaker of the House J. Dennis Hastert (R-IL) and Minority
    Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) based on their substantive expertise in the many
    areas such as intelligence, cybersecurity, border and port security, public
    health, and emergency preparedness that together comprise the mission of
    the newest Cabinet department.

    The Committee will coordinate all House oversight of the Homeland Security
    Department in the House of Representatives.  It will also exercise
    exclusive legislative jurisdiction over the Homeland Security Act that
    established the Federal department tasked with protecting the United States
    from terrorist attack.

    "The impressive group of legislators who will comprise this
    Committee-including the Chairmen of the most significant committees in the
    Congress-underscores the importance we attach to protecting our citizens
    and our country," Chairman Cox said.  "Every member of the Committee, on
    both sides of the aisle, will work to ensure that the largest
    reorganization of the U.S. government in over half a century accomplishes
    its objective:  keeping Americans safe."

    Majority Members of the House Homeland Security Committee:

    Rep. C.W. Bill Young (FL)
    Rep. Christopher Shays (CT)
    Rep. Curt Weldon (PA)
    Rep. Dave Camp (MI)
    Rep. David Dreier (CA)
    Rep. Don Young (AK)
    Rep. Duncan Hunter (CA)
    Rep. Ernest Istook (OK)
    Rep. F. James Sensenbrenner (WI)
    Rep. Harold Rogers (KY)
    Rep. Jennifer Dunn (WA)
    Rep. Jim Gibbons (NV)
    Rep. John Linder (GA)
    Rep. John Shadegg (AZ)
    Rep. John Sweeney (NY)
    Rep. Kay Granger (TX)
    Rep. Lamar Smith (TX)
    Rep. Lincoln Diaz-Balart (FL)
    Rep. Mac Thornberry (TX)
    Rep. Mark Souder (IN)
    Rep. Pete Sessions (TX)
    Rep. Peter King (NY)
    Rep. Porter Goss (R-FL)
    Rep. Robert W. Goodlatte (VA)
    Rep. Sherwood Boehlert (NY)
    Rep. W.J. Billy Tauzin (LA)

    Minority Members of the House Homeland Security Committee:

      Rep. Robert E. Andrews (NJ)
    Rep. Benjamin L. Cardin (MD)
    Rep. Donna M. Christensen (VI)
    Rep. Peter A. DeFazio (OR)